Sarah Sammis's Reviews > Opera Cat

Opera Cat by Tess Weaver

Jan 12, 10

bookshelves: borrowed, read-in-2009
Read from July 27, 2009 to January 12, 2010

I chose Opera Cat by Tess Weaver to read to Harriet. Madame Soso is a famous opera singer who lives in Milan with her Siamese cat. Her life is filled with a routine of singing lessons and performances. Unbeknownst to the diva her cat adores opera and has learned all of Madame Soso's arias.

The two things Alma the cat wishes for in life are to leave the apartment and to sing opera. When Madame Soso temporarily loses her voice, she gets her wish.

Anyone who has ever owned a Siamese will laugh at the thought of a Siamese singing arias. They are certainly a talkative breed of cat but their voices tend to be anything but sweet. Nonetheless Alma is a very special Siamese in deed and thankfully Madame Sosa is kind hearted enough to let her talented feline share the limelight.

I read this book to Harriet and Sean, expecting Harriet to love the book but it ended up being Sean and me who loved it. She just couldn't believe that a cat could sing. Sean liked the "helping hands" aspect of the story where Alma was able to help her owner. He also liked that Madame Sosa didn't try to take credit for the cat's hard work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Opera Cat.