Danna's Reviews > Interred with Their Bones

Interred with Their Bones by Jennifer Lee Carrell

Jul 13, 09

Read in July, 2009

While picking up books I plan on borrowing, I like also to invite serendipity and browse the shelves at random. This time I did have a bit of focus: I wanted something fun to offset The Grapes of Wrath and the heavy non-fiction I've been reading. This was a delightful choice!

At first I laughed and rolled my eyes because it seemed nearly identical to The Davinci Code , our current bedtime read-aloud. Estranged protege and mentor; ghastly murder; cryptic academic/religious mysteries shrouded in history and varied theories, conspiracy and otherwise. Assassins, chases, escapes, etc.

Happily, Carrell either had a better editor or intended to write for an audience already somewhat familiar with the topic and able to keep track of basic plot lines and details without endless repetition, but I'll share my thoughts on that in my review of Brown's book later.

Carrell clearly loves and is quite knowledgeable of Shakespeare, the history of his time, and the ongoing quest among scholars to unravel the mysteries of who he was, what his life was like, if there are surviving manuscripts as yet to be seen, and where those might be. A delightful romp, fun to read, accessible to anyone with a passing familiarity of Shakespeare and anyone with an academic passion to study him deeply. The best of the beach blanket books of summer.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Interred with Their Bones.