Eastofoz's Reviews > Halfway to the Grave

Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost

Feb 05, 11

bookshelves: paranormal, 1st-person, e-book
Recommended to Eastofoz by: Auntee
Recommended for: Readers who love heroes with accents and lots of wit

If it weren’t for the hero this book would be like any other vampire PNR, this poster boy for “hot honeyness” totally steals the show from page 1. The writing overall is quite good with strong characters but the best thing about it is the Brit speak. Those one liners from the hero will either have you laughing your head off (though I wonder if the Brit speak would be as funny for someone from the UK?) or melting in a little puddle of goo :)

The series starts out with the heroine, Catherine, who’s half vampire. She’s made it her mission in life to kill all vampires as revenge for what they did to her mother. During one of her killing sprees she meets Bones, the oozer of sex hero. Bones is a vampire bounty hunter. They lock horns and end up having a “jolly good” time together as the story goes on.

Bones reminds me of JD Robb’s Rourke in a way. He’s got the quiet mystery about him, he adores the heroine and is always there when needed. Yes he’s one of those heroes who ends up getting the heroine out of more than one bind, but it’s well done so that you don’t feel like she’s only got the role of damsel in distress. If you mess with her in any way whether you're weak or strong he’ll kill you without batting an eye and he does it all with the most brilliant bit of funny/menacing lingo.

Though there is romance, it’s more PNR with romance than romance within a PNR framework. It reminds me a bit of Katie MacAlister’s Aisling Grey Guardian series with a splash more romance. There could have been more development we’ll say when they’d “get down to business” instead of making it a quick paragraph or two and the focus could have been more on the h/h than the vampire hunting at times. This happens more at the end so I felt a bit short changed there which was why I couldn’t give it a 5 star rating. Some of the action packed scenes at the end were also a bit too long I thought -got a little UF-y. It’s also written in the first person which is not a favourite of mine but it didn’t bother me here. You had enough of the hero’s side to get a good feel for his character. I wasn’t too keen on Cat’s decision at the end –very frustrating which of course goes to show that the author wrote a good book if they can get such a rise out of you (lol!)

If you do decide to pick up this book, a word to the wise: get book 2 with it otherwise you’ll be pulling out your hair what with the ending. It’s pretty much a guarantee that you’ll be itching to know what happened. One of the best endings I’ve read in a good while.

So it’s quite a good start to the series. No excessive world building, original writing, laugh out loud scenes, a hellcat of a heroine and a jalapeno hot hero –good thing books 2 to 4 have already been published ;)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Halfway to the Grave.

08/07/2009 page 1
0.28% "Rubbing the ol' hands in anticipation here :D" 11 comments
08/08/2009 page 110
30.73% "Very good so far :)" 5 comments
08/11/2009 page 358
100.0% "What the frick kind of ending was that!?! Now I HAVE to buy book 2!" 12 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Auntee Waiting impatiently for the review...;)

Miss Kim I think I am the last in the country to read this!

Tammy You haven't read it yet Kim? You should! The author has a true talent for writing the funniest one-liners.

Miss Kim I know, I know! I've just been on a break from paranormal lately.

message 5: by Tammy (last edited Aug 12, 2009 11:40AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tammy Kim wrote: "I know, I know! I've just been on a break from paranormal lately. "

I don't even really like paranormal books, but this series sucked me in from the get-go. We have similar taste in books, so I'd be willing to bet you'll really like it.

Eastofoz Auntee wrote: "Waiting impatiently for the review...;)"

Work is to blame here Auntee :-/ Odds are I can't get to it before the weekend too :( Dammit I need that laptop asap now (lol!)

Kim when I started reading it I clicked on the title to see who else has read it expecting about 4 or 5 people on my friends list --more like double plus that (!) I've been under a rock with this series that's for sure. Looks like Auntee's review sparked a book frenzy ;)

Miss Kim I'll say! I just peaked at my list and 39 of my friends have read or are going to read it.

Tammy Doesn't surprise me - I just saw on JF's blog that her new book has reached #7 on the NY Bestseller's list! The series is definitely gaining in popularity ...

Auntee I've got to give credit to Laura who first told me about the series last year, and then Shawna's review was one of the ones that pushed me right over the edge!

Tammy And then you pulled the rest of us right over the edge with you! LOL!!!

Auntee LOL! And I was happy to do it!

Eastofoz It would appear that we all followed merrily along like lambs to the slaughter (lol!)

Auntee Well put, East!:D

Teryl It was well worth being a lemming though =)

Eastofoz LOL!!! Yes it was :)

Nikki ♥ Kim, you aren't the only one who hasn't read it. I don't know why I keep putting this one off.

Kathrynn "...jalapeno hot hero." I love it, East. Great review.

Tammy That's the 3rd time I've heard someone compare Bones to JD Robb's Rourke! Guess it's a sign I need to add that entire series to my TBR pile. (I can already hear my bookshelves groaning from the added weight of 28 more books.)

Great review East. Glad you liked it. I think you'll like book #2 even more. =)

Eastofoz Thanks Kathrynn ;)

Ah, Tammy looks like we're in the same "In Death" boat. I read book one, was hooked and bought all rest that were out in paperback. Rourke is quite the hero. Certainly looking forward to book 2 of Dark Huntress!

Tammy I need another series like I need a hole in the head!

Does the 1st book in the In Death series end with a cliffhanger and/or an unresolved romance? I don't know if I have the energy or time ...

Karen I need another series like I need a hole in the head!

Ditto that, but I think this is the next PNR series on my list after reading all the reviews lately. Who can resist a "jalapeno hot hero"? ;)

Adrienne Great review East. Bones Brit speak has me laughing and I've given him an accent as well LOL:)

message 23: by Angelc (new)

Angelc Great review, Eastofoz!! Bones sounds awesome :)

Eastofoz Tammy, I love series and can never get enough of them. I freak though when there are more than 4 books and I've only just started (!) I have to start Suzanne Brockmann's Troubleshooters series and that's a monster too apparently. Book 1 is hiding out on TBR (lol!) Book 1 in the In Death series is an unresolved romance but a very good read especially if you like romantic suspense --which is rarely first on my list but this was good :)

So Adrienne, you're from the UK and you found it funny too. You must have a great time listening to those English cuties chit chatting like that then (lol!) Reminds me of Julie (JJ from Georgia) and her southern men with their drawls (lol!) I love a man with an accent and it takes a good writer to pull it off throughout the novel.

Thanks Angelc :) Bones is certainly a character in his own category ;)

message 25: by Dina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dina Great review, East! I agree: Bones makes the book worth reading; if it wasn't for him, this would have been a regular UF novel.

Eastofoz Thanks Dina. Looks like we're on the same wavelength ;) I haven't read any reviews for book 2 because I hate even the smallest spoiler --but I'm sooooooooo tempted!

Auntee There's that review I was looking for--great job, East! Do you have any hair left??;D
Don't worry, 2-4 are on their way, luv!

Shawna Tammy wrote: "That's the 3rd time I've heard someone compare Bones to JD Robb's Rourke! Guess it's a sign I need to add that entire series to my TBR pile. (I can already hear my bookshelves groaning from the added weight of 28 more books."

WHA?!?! This is the first I've heard that Robb's hero Roarke is similar to Bones...OH JEEZ...now I'm definitely going to have to make it a priority to read the 'In Death' series. *splat* That's the sound of my TBR pile crumbling to the ground! hahaha!

Auntee Shawna wrote: "Tammy wrote: "That's the 3rd time I've heard someone compare Bones to JD Robb's Rourke! Guess it's a sign I need to add that entire series to my TBR pile. (I can already hear my bookshelves groani..."

Kathrynn Dang it. Searching for the first In Death book now...:-)

message 31: by Dina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dina Auntee wrote: "I was thinking the same thing, Shawna! That's one series I can't afford to get hooked on!"

HAHAHA, I'm so happy I got hooked on the 'In Death' series when it started! No pressure on my TBR from this series, yay! *does happy dance*

Tammy Kathrynn wrote: "Dang it. Searching for the first In Death book now...:-)"

message 33: by Rane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rane I may have to give up my ban against vampire books and hop on the Bones train!
Awesome Review East!

Auntee All aboard, Rane! There's room in the caboose!:)

Shawna Tammy wrote: "MUWHAHAHAHA! I'd be willing to bet good money that I spend more time reading reviews on GR and searching for books than I actually do reading these days!"

Ain't that the truth! lol! I think the time I spend writing/reading reviews and surfing GR probably equals about a book extra I could have read per week...but it's just so fun and addictive! :)

Shawna Auntee wrote: "All aboard, Rane! There's room in the caboose!:)"

LOL!

Eastofoz Thanks Auntee :D LOL! (re "luv") I am now bald :)

Shawna, I know that sound! It happens with my shelves whenever I add a new book ...or 16 (lol!)

Kathrynn, I got them all lined up in the closet so book 2 is ready to go (lol!) GR is contagious!

Dina, LOL! We'll know where to go for the "info" ;)

Tammy, GR is beyond addictive! One of the reasons I need a laptop is so I can cart it around at work and check GR from time to time (lol!)

Rane, I'm with you about being tired of vampire romances but you have to meet Bones at least once --he IS the book :D If there's no room in the caboose I'm sure you can climb on top and just hold on tight ;)

message 38: by Laura (new)

Laura East, I'm so glad you liked it! Now you can see why everyone is "Bones" crazy. Yummmmmmmmmy!

xoxo
Laura Stamps
Author of Erotica and Paranormal Romance Novels
http://www.LauraStamps.blogspot.com (excerpts from all of my novels)
http://laura-stamps8.livejournal.com (my naughty Author Blog/updated daily)

Sarah I'm 100% british and Bones makes me crake up every time

message 40: by Katy (new) - rated it 1 star

Katy Forrest I rarely comment on reviews I disagree with, as we're all entitled to our opinions and the world would be a boring place if we all agreed. I like to read different perspectives - I just wanted to give you my view, as a Brit. The dialogue in this book is ridiculous. The 'Brit speak' is utterly ludicrous - no-one in England speaks like that. I am only on chapter 5 and desperately hoping this book will improve but so far, I hate it. Every sentence is irritating and for the first time in my life, I may actually just give up on it. I can see why this book may appeal to anyone who isn’t English, it has all the right components – which is what attracted me to it in the first place, but the way Bones speaks totally ruins it. So disappointing... just thought you may be interested in how an English woman perceives it :)

message 41: by Katy (new) - rated it 1 star

Katy Forrest Ps. I am obviously a minority though, as this book has great reviews. My comment was merely in answer to the review above and I would hate to put anyone off a book they may enjoy...

Eastofoz Katy wrote: "Ps. I am obviously a minority though, as this book has great reviews. My comment was merely in answer to the review above and I would hate to put anyone off a book they may enjoy..."

Katy wrote: "I rarely comment on reviews I disagree with, as we're all entitled to our opinions and the world would be a boring place if we all agreed. I like to read different perspectives - I just wanted to g..."

Though it's be a while since I've read this one, it's interesting to know that the Brit speak doesn't work all that well for a British person.

Nicola I know I'm late coming to this discussion, but hey, just thought I'd add my two penn'erth (yes, I'm British!). I love this series, have just picked it up for another re-read while I'm looking for something new. In some ways I agree with Katy - Bones' 'Brit speak' really is stereotypical - it still makes me laugh. And when you meet the other British characters they don't speak like Bones, so I've just put it down to Bones being that sort of person. I know people who hit the stereotype like hitting a nail on the head - I'm sure everyone can think of someone who does out there too. For me it's just Bones, and doesn't detract from the story at all, on the contrary, I like it. The only thing that's annoying me at the moment is that I can't figure out whose voice it is I'm hearing when Bones talks!