edifanob's Reviews > Flood

1120366
Aug 03, 09

bookshelves: my-books, 2009-reads
Read in July, 2009

Flood (2008) by Stephen Baxter is the first book in a series. Stephen Baxter is a well know British science fiction author, and his novel is my first encounter with Mr. Baxter's work. Interestingly, the main protagonist of the book is water.
The Setup
The story begins in 2016. After being held hostage for five years four people - Lily, Helen, Gary, and Pierce are freed by a private security force of AxysCorp. - a multinational company owned by Nathan Lammockson. The freed prisoners return to their relatives in England where something has changed in the past five years - the weather. Rain is now a constant companion and high tides threaten London. There are messages of rising sea levels from around the world, but these dire portents are just the prelude to what will happen in the next 36 years. We accompany Lily, Helen, Gary, Pierce, Nathan and some of their relatives, friends and colleagues through the 36 years of Flood, starting with the flooding of London, where the apocalypse begins...
Read my full Review: Flood, by Stephen Baxter
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flood.

07/16/2009 page 30
6.34% "Rain, rain, rain,...."

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this book.

edifanob The book was a birthday gift for my wife. So far she didn't find time to read it. Today I recommended Terror by Dan Simmons on Twitter. This lead me to Flood because I think it is a good idea to read books in summer which are related to ice or water.
Today I will finish Twelve by Jasper Kent (only 128 pages left). Next two books will be The Red Wolf Conspiracy by Robert V.S Redick and Flood by Stephen Baxter.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) I'll check into those other books. Thanks.

edifanob I created a new book shelf which shows my summer 2009 reading list. In case you are interested in: edifanob reading-order shelf

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Looks like you're having a great reading summer. I definitely would like to read some of those.

edifanob These books I would like to read from June to end of September.
I'm not sure whether I can read them all or not. Even half of the books would be nice. So far it seems I will read more books in 2009 than in 2008 and that's great. Most important thing for me is to enjoy reading and relax.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Enjoyment is definitely most important, but I often find I have tbr pile anxiety and I want to read as many books as I can in a short period.