JSou's Reviews > Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

1020084
Jul 27, 10

bookshelves: fiction, favo-u-rites
Read from July 26 to 27, 2010

Sometimes, I'm actually grateful for when good ol' insomnia kicks in. I can deep clean my kitchen without any distractions, play catch-up with the never-ending, nervous-breakdown-inducing amount of laundry I have, and even try to finally watch a movie (surprisingly, even snooze-worthy The Wolfman couldn't get me to sleep). And of course, I can read. Sure, I hate myself in the morning and feel like crap all day, but there's times that it's worth it. Especially when the book I'm reading is as good as this.

I loved all the characters in this just as much as I did in Foer's Everything is Illuminated. Admittedly, when I first started, I was thinking, "This Oskar kid is supposed to be nine years old??? Really?" But the more I read, I didn't care; I totally bought it. Bringing to life not only the events on 9/11, but also the Dresden bombings, Foer does show that some good can come out of such horrors. Which I think is really the only thing any of us can do--continuing to live while trying to comprehend something so unimaginable would be almost impossible.

While finishing this early this morning, my son came in to sneak in bed with me, not knowing I was still awake. He saw me, and quietly crawled under the covers. I hugged him so hard and didn't let him go. Though I tell him all the time, this morning I told him over and over how much I loved him, to the point where he got annoyed, rolled over, and went back to sleep-with me still hugging him. That's what this book did to me. As much as we don't like to think about it, the unimaginable does happen, and I just want people to know. This really was an inspiring, beautiful and touching story. Another member for TEAM FOER checking in.

Side note: This is the only book where font size has made me cry. This should have never even been released in audio format. Just sayin'...Ben.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ben (new) - rated it 1 star

Ben I'm jus' sayin', it feels good to hate once in a while, aight, okay?

message 2: by JSou (last edited Jul 26, 2010 04:20PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

JSou I just knew you'd show up. ; )

I only started this at lunch today; I'm on page 37. We shall see how it goes.

Cait You will love it. No, that's not optimism - it's an order. :oP

message 4: by Ben (last edited Jul 27, 2010 10:45AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Ben Hah. Good review for a horrible (audio?) book! ; )

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree about it not being appropriate for audio with how many visual elements there were. It would also be difficult to perform Oskar's slightly autistic voice in an endearing way, which it must.

JSou I can't even imagine this story without all of the visual elements. They seemed to flow with the story well, it didn't seem gimmicky at all to me.

I totally agree about Oskar, Montambeau. I picked up on a lot of autistic traits in his character, but wasn't sure if that was intended or not. I can see how that would be grating to listen to, Ben. (And the 'vegan cupcake' line in your review still makes me laugh)

Cait-I LOVED IT.

message 7: by Cait (last edited Jul 27, 2010 11:45AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cait You know, EL&IC on audio would be similar to listening to A Prayer for Owen Meany, minus the visual elements. Even if the narrator managed to perform the voice of Owen the way that Irving intended (not very likely), who could listen to that for 15+ hours? Some books are just not meant for audio. Ben, I'm sad that we can't go all "Inception" on you so you could experience it for the first time in print form.

ETA: Jess, I'm so glad you loved it. This is one of my go-to recommendations, and your review makes me want to read it again.

JSou Must. See. Inception. Was it good?

Cait It was incredible. So good that I'm going to go see it again after Matt goes back to the shit hole sandbox (he saw it with me the first time).

message 10: by Ben (new) - rated it 1 star

Ben Okay, the Owen Meany comment struck me and has my attention: that's a really good point, Cait.

Sparrow I hereby declare an audio version of this book to be illegal. I'm super offended that exists.

message 12: by Jenn "Awww Yeaaahhh" (last edited Jul 27, 2010 02:18PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenn "Awww Yeaaahhh" Jessica wrote: "Must. See. Inception. Was it good?"

As good as The Wolfman is bad.

message 13: by JSou (new) - rated it 5 stars

JSou Ooooh. I'm definitely going this weekend.

message 14: by JSou (new) - rated it 5 stars

JSou Oh, and by the way, I love all you guys. Really.*

*I'm not even drunk.

message 15: by Reese (new) - added it

Reese Your touching and funny review has persuaded me to add EXTREMELY LOUD AND INCREDIBLY CLOSE to my to-read list.

message 16: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim I'm soooooo glad that you liked this book. Unlike some other people we know. We're the smart ones.

“Being with him made my brain quiet. I didn’t have to invent a thing.”

I love that line..

And this one:

“Every moment before this one depends on this one.”

There are really so many... :)

message 17: by JSou (new) - rated it 5 stars

JSou Thanks, Reese! It really is such a great book. I hope you love it as much as I did.

You're right, Kim. There are a ton of great lines in this. Almost half the pages in my copy are dog-eared.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I want to read this again, soon.

message 19: by Ben (new) - rated it 1 star

Ben Why don't you listen to it this time, Montambo?

Philip whoops. this was another one i listened to...

Malbadeen Montambeau wrote: "I want to read this again, soon."

one of the kids in my class "book talked" this and he tripped all over himself apologizing for it's popularity. whateva!!!

message 22: by Arnie (new) - added it