Theresa 's Reviews > Strange Angels

Strange Angels by Lili St. Crow

Jul 22, 09

bookshelves: fantasy, ya, 2009
Read in January, 2009

I keep going back and forth on whether I liked this book or not. There were many things I did like, but just as many that I didn't.

LIKES:
* Graves - A very cool character. I almost wish HE was the main character

* The Mystery - What the hell is going on? :)

* Christophe - Another cool character.

* Dru - As the main character, she is pretty cool. Very realistically written most of the time... she goes through the shock and depression of having bad stuff happen to her and (somewhat) suffers the consequences.

* The Setting - As a desert dweller all my life, the setting of snow-ins and white-outs freaks me out. Put to good use to make creepy scenes.

DISLIKES:
* The Quirks of Language - I don't know if I was just being overly sensitive to this, but the way Dru explains things bugged me. She used the same words and phrases repeatedly (ex "red-hot second", "shining me on"). Besides the fact that I kept thinking, What teenager actually talks like this?, the repetitve use of the phrases annoyed me. Then there is the way the author (or the character, however you choose to look at it), drops letters from words to make, I guess, new words? For example, "splashed" is now "plashed".

* Dru - Besides the above dislike, there is the line of TSTL that Dru toes. Or, rather, dense. She doesn't ask the right questions, but focuses on stupid things or choses not to face up to what these explanations she's receiving might mean in a broader sense. It was very frustrating to read... I kept wanting to shake her and tell her to ask what about this, what about that, explain this, explain that. Instead she would be like, whatever, I can handle myself and I don't need to believe what you are saying. Argh!

* The Constant Descriptions of Graves and Christophe's Faces/Eyes/Face-Structure - This may seem odd, but it seemed like Dru spent an unbelievable amount of time thinking about the different colors of the guy's eyes, their cheekbones, hair, smiles, etc. I get it, they are both hot, but enough. You have better things to be focusing on - you know, like staying alive and asking the RIGHT questions to get the information on how to stay alive. Stop ogling the guys.

All said, I'll probably pick up the second book when it comes out later this year. Hopefully it'll be a stronger book than this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Strange Angels.

07/20/2009 page 46
07/20/2009 page 90
30.72% "Loving this book. But the author does weird things to words: instead of "splashed", she writes "plashed". Odd and takes me out of the story."
show 1 hidden update…