Aribowo Sangkoyo's Reviews > Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There

Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There by Lewis Carroll

Jul 13, 09

It colorfully details the sham that is organized religion. The Walrus - with his girth and good-nature - obviously refers to either the Buddha, or - with his tusks - the lovable Hindu elephant god, Lord Ganesha. This takes care of the Eastern religions. The Carpenter is an obvious reference to Jesus Christ, who was purportedly raised the son of a carpenter. He represents the Western religions. And in the poem. what do they do? They dupe all the oysters into followmg them. Then. when the oysters collective guard is down. the Walrus and the Carpenter shuck and devour the helpless creatures, en masse. I don't know what that says to you, but to me it says that following faiths based on these mythological figures insures the destruction of one's inner-being.
Organized religion destroys who we are or who we can be by inhibiting our actions and decisions out of fear of an intangible parent-figure who shakes a finger at us from thousands of years ago and says "No, no!" (Dogma)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Karen you should read the annotated alice before you start turning the book into a religious one.

message 2: by Ariel (new)

Ariel I agree with Karen o-o

Sophia Pike Hahahaa! "Do it, and I'll effing spank you!" I love Dogma!

David Shadle The Rev. Dodgson was not making a theological statement, sorry to burst your bubble. While he loved to lampoon children's morality poems, he was a stout Anglican.

message 5: by Somerandom (new)

Somerandom Haha Dogma is hilarious!