Aribowo Sangkoyo's Reviews > Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There

Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There by Lewis Carroll

Jul 13, 2009

It colorfully details the sham that is organized religion. The Walrus - with his girth and good-nature - obviously refers to either the Buddha, or - with his tusks - the lovable Hindu elephant god, Lord Ganesha. This takes care of the Eastern religions. The Carpenter is an obvious reference to Jesus Christ, who was purportedly raised the son of a carpenter. He represents the Western religions. And in the poem. what do they do? They dupe all the oysters into followmg them. Then. when the oysters collective guard is down. the Walrus and the Carpenter shuck and devour the helpless creatures, en masse. I don't know what that says to you, but to me it says that following faiths based on these mythological figures insures the destruction of one's inner-being.
Organized religion destroys who we are or who we can be by inhibiting our actions and decisions out of fear of an intangible parent-figure who shakes a finger at us from thousands of years ago and says "No, no!" (Dogma)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There.

03/05/2016 marked as: read

Karen you should read the annotated alice before you start turning the book into a religious one.

message 2: by Ariel (new)

Ariel I agree with Karen o-o

Sophia Pike Hahahaa! "Do it, and I'll effing spank you!" I love Dogma!

David Shadle The Rev. Dodgson was not making a theological statement, sorry to burst your bubble. While he loved to lampoon children's morality poems, he was a stout Anglican.

message 5: by Somerandom (new)

Somerandom Haha Dogma is hilarious!

Alberto You should be careful with your use of the word "obvious" as none of your interpretations is obvious. Furthermore, they are almost certainly not the ones the author intended.

message 7: by Somerandom (new)

Somerandom Alberto wrote: "You should be careful with your use of the word "obvious" as none of your interpretations is obvious. Furthermore, they are almost certainly not the ones the author intended."

Never watched the film Dogma, eh?

Alberto Is this a quote from Dogma. I caught it on TV once, but I don't recall this. I may not have been paying close enough attention.

message 9: by Somerandom (last edited Jan 21, 2015 05:35PM) (new)

Somerandom Yes, it is indeed a quote (verbatim) from Dogma. It's the Airport scene near the start of the movie where Loki is discussing his "theology theory" with a Nun and uses Through the Looking Glass to cast doubt into her faith. When questioned by Bartelby about denying God when he has literally lived in his presence, Loki responds by saying "I just love fucking with the clergy. Keeps them on their toes."

Alberto I'll have to watch more carefully the next time. Thanks.