Nathan's Reviews > The Wild Blue: The Men and Boys Who Flew the B-24s Over Germany 1944-45

The Wild Blue by Stephen E. Ambrose

Sep 17, 2007

bookshelves: history, biography
Recommended for: Aging English majors who wish they'd studied history, Catch-22 fans.
Read in January, 2005

Catch-22, by Joseph Heller, was the story of a bombardier during WWII. It is the funniest and possibly most profound book I've ever read, though that probably says more about me than it does about the book. The Wild Blue, by Joseph Heller, is the story of B-24 crew members during WWII. Although I like Ambrose's work, I read this book primarily because I wanted to know what poor Yossarian must have gone through in the parts Heller didn't tell me about. It was hard not to read this book with a different perspective than I came to Ambrose's other works with, and as such, I'm probably not to be trusted in my review of The Wild Blue. But it is hands down my favorite work by Ambrose. Maybe it was because I had lingering thoughts about the absurdity and terror of war lingering in my brain as whispers from Yossarian, or maybe it was because I kept wondering if half these guys weren't crazy, but this book captured better than any other Ambrose work (for me) the fear and nerve that must have been present in these guys. Worrying about how long a fire could rage in a bomb bay before you all die or whether or not one engine could get you home is more than enough for my inner Yo-Yo.

NC

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wild Blue.