Kaleigha's Reviews > Dark Secret

Dark Secret by Christine Feehan

Aug 24, 09

In Dark Secret, we meet Raphael and Colby. Raphael is an Ancient, sent by his prince thousands of years ago (along with his four brothers)away from their beloved homeland to fight the vampires in what is now Brazil. Through all of those long years without color or emotion, the brothers have done their duty, the only thing stopping them from becoming what they hunt was their relationship with each other and a fierce sense of honor. But when Raphael meets rancher Colby, all of that changes.

Most people I know did not like Raphael as a character, but enjoyed Colby. I am the opposite. I understood Raphael...I didn't get Colby. While Raphael was dominating and controlling, sure, he was also always there whenever Colby needed him. Colby, on the other hand, had so many changes of both mind and heart I lost count. She went from being so grateful everytime he aided her to accusing about why he had done what he had done usually within the same paragraph. And while Raphael did take the whole Alpha male thing a bit far, I thought that he deserved better. The only real harmony between the two comes literally only a few pages from the end, but by the time of Colby's realization that she did love Raphael, I was waiting for another about face.

What I did enjoy the most were the glimpses of the supporting cast, as it were. Nicholas has great potential, and to learn a bit more about the mysterious Natalya was also a bonus. I still like Vikirnof, and the development of the whole Dragonseeker line of Carpathians is very interesting. So, while this one was definitely not a favorite of the series, I still found enough in it to keep me interested.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Secret.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Rafael didn't bother me. I liked him a lot.

Kaleigha Me, too. I enjoyed him, but Colby was a bit off-putting to me, for some reason. I think I am a bit harder on the heroines than the heroes, though. I seem to cut them a lot more slack.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I liked Colby a lot too. I think she had some reasons to be pricky, having always felt rejected, and having so much pressure on her. But I can see why she might bother some readers. So far the only heroine that sort of annoyed me at times in Christine Feehan's books was Joley in Turbulent Sea, but I have the problem with other authors like Kresley Cole (who I love) and Suzanne Brockmann, so I feel your pain, Kaleigha.