Kathryn's Reviews > The Turning

The Turning by Jennifer Armintrout

Dec 08, 09

bookshelves: urban-fantasy
Read in December, 2009

First off, this is not a paranormal romance, contrary to what the cover wants you to think. This is a dark urban fantasy with many violent scenes. There is a great deal of pain, blood, and assault.

I loved the first chapter, thought it was perfect and original. I liked the main character, the secondary characters, and set up. Then the blood tie kicked in and was used for all sorts of ridiculous behavior and dialogue. I stopped liking the main character when her actions stopped making sense.

I understand what was attempted. I love feeling sympathy for a villain but it did not work here. The characters were too inconsistent. The author failed to convince me that characters would instantly be so accepting of certain behaviors, regardless of the weak plot devices used.

I’m actually really annoyed with this book and will be using this one and the next in the series as store credit at my used book store. And I’m not reading book 2 before doing so.
27 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Turning.

12/06/2009 "I love this! It's intense, scary, very well written. Love the main character. Hope to finish tonight & I have book 2! Yay!"
12/07/2009 "I think I jumped the gun in my original assessment. Im not enjoying this too much any more but I'll finish." 2 comments

message 1: by Shanon (new)

Shanon I've heard very mixed reviews on this so I'm excited to see what you think.

message 2: by new_user (new)

new_user Oh, I'm looking forward to getting your opinion on this. I was really iffy after reading her new series. :/

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} I liked this book but didn't think much of the second and I've yet to start the third. Looking forward to seeing what you think :)

Kathryn I'll probably start it tomorrow but I'll let you guys know. Of my friends who have read this, every single one rated it 5 stars, so I have been very excited to pick it up! :)

message 5: by new_user (last edited Dec 01, 2009 11:31AM) (new)

new_user That's encouraging. :) I think she probably writes better in first person than third.

message 6: by new_user (new)

new_user Oh, sorry to hear that, Kathryn. What were the unbelievable actions, if you don't mind my asking? I might have to take this off my list.

Kathryn The main character uses her blood tie as an excuse to do bad things and I just did not buy it, especially considering what happens later in the book. I'm trying to provide any spoilers so I do not know if this makes sense! :)

message 8: by new_user (new)

new_user Ah, well, I guess I won't be in a rush to read this one then, LOL.

message 9: by Shanon (new)

Shanon I've heard some people say the first book is bearable and it just gets worse from there. I've considered reading it just to see but I'm thinking I won't waste my time. I'm knocking books of my TBR pile left & right today.

Kathryn Good for you Shanon! :)

Cila517 I'm really not sure how to take this book. I think the concept is interesting and the fist chapter was digestible but then it just gets... well... weird. I've read the first few pages of the 2nd book and I REALLY don't have it in me to continue. I'll save the rest of the series to torture myself with on a long flight or something.

Kathryn I don't blame you. I already used the books as store credit and haven't regretted it. :)

message 13: by new_user (new)

new_user Oooh, burnnn. LOL.

Sammy I thought this book was okay and went on to read the rest. They went down hill from there. One of the worst series I have ever read. I wish I could get my time back. Thank goodness they were library books.

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} LOL! I completely agree with you, Sammy. I still haven't forced myself to read the 4th and last of the series. I've heard the ending is ludicrous.

Yz the Whyz I borrowed the first three books of this series from the library. I've finished reading this first book, made it only halfway on the 2nd book, before I gave up, and returned all three.

Jacqui Well thank GOODNESS it's not another sloppy "paranormal romance" ACK! I'm so fed up with Twilight type crap....FINALLY a book with some REAL vampire grit to it! Can't wait to read it...."dark urban fantasy with violence"....MY FAVE!!! Thank you for your review, it is the one that made me want to read this book! :)

Kathryn I hope you enjoy it more than I did! :)

D.A.—just a reader Sucked up too much of my time reading this dreck to write a review—but I totally agree with yours. I knew from authors other books she did not shy away from violence but these characters and the storyline were completely uninteresting and unsympathetic past first chapter. I had bought the ebook omnibus version and had trouble forcing myself nearly halfway thru series. Really want a refund for my time ... *sigh* ... Ebooks do not even get you credit at used bookstore.

Brent Ryan I find this review just wrong. The book fits the definition of "Vampire romance" within the "paranormal romance" genre beautifully. How a reviewer can 'miss' this is beyond my perception.

Why?

All three main characters are vampires and one starts as a human. The fourth character is still human as well.

It is almost as if the reviewer is claiming that Vampires are outside the paranormal genre. Except Ms Trout has written witches, werewolves, hybrids, and demons also into the series' world. Therefore even if someone accepts that my wild speculation is true, the overall claim is still wrong.

So why this review was written is puzzling to me.