Michelle's Reviews > The Hanged Man's Song

The Hanged Man's Song by John Sandford

Jul 27, 09

bookshelves: audiobooks
Read in July, 2009

Checked this audiobook out of the Pottstown libary because I liked the title and wanted to be entertained for a 3-hour drive to State College (and back). I'm generally not one for detective novels, and this cyber-crime investigation was no exception. I thought the dialogue of protagonist Kidd sounded like an aging oversexed college football star with no couth, no redeeming qualities and an incongruous/miraculous knowledge of hacking into computers. It did occupy my time during the drive, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hanged Man's Song.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Why are so many detective novels so bad? I think too many poor writers think it's an easy genre.

Michelle Eileen wrote: "Why are so many detective novels so bad? I think too many poor writers think it's an easy genre."

Ugh. I dunno. But a lot of people like 'em. Just not my thing, I guess!

message 3: by Evan (new)

Evan Brandt I think people like Detective novels because they most often end up exploring human weakness and evil, which, let's face it, is way more interesting than being good and nice.
Sadly, even since Dashiell Hammett's excellent books, the genre has fallen onto a kind of second string status, and people think they can just go with the "hard-bitten cop" cliche and call it done. And that's enough for most people.
Although they are not exactly detective nevels, I can't recommend highly enough the novels of Thomas Harris that deal with Hannibal Lecter. Both "The Red Dragon" and "Hannibal" are among my favorite books and worth reading. (and not just because he's my dad's neighbor and a heck of a nice guy). In order, they are The Red Dragon, Silence of the Lambs and Hannibal.
When I was a kid, I read all the Ellery Queens, Sherlock Holmes abd many Nero Wolfe novels. They may not be great literature, but they teach you how to think and notice small details and, most of all, to think about motive.
Just my two cents.
-- Evan

Michelle Hmmm. Who are your dad's other literary neighbors? I wonder if I will ever have a literary neighbor, living where I do. You and Eileen must be it!