Lauri's Reviews > Thanking the Monkey: Rethinking the Way We Treat Animals

Thanking the Monkey by Karen Dawn

Oct 04, 09

bookshelves: animals, vegan, world_issues, vegetarian, nature_environment_conservation
Recommended for: Anyone with a soul
Read in October, 2009

If you are looking for a book that covers all of the injustices that animals endure in our society, then look no further. This book paints a cursory picture of all of them and goes into great detail on some. The author brings up some very interesting perspectives for all of us, animal rights activists included, to reflect upon. Far from a judgmental, condescending, militant book, this one actually invites people to simply learn about the issues and make whatever choices they can to improve the treatment of animals. To refute what an earlier reviewer (who admittedly only skimmed the book) claimed (that this is a PETA aligned book), in actuality, Dawn pulls from a multitude of varied sources to inform her book. Almost all statements seem to be meticulously cited with a resource list at the back - for you skeptics who want to challenge any statements or for the rest of you who may want to delve deeper into the issues. I consider myself to be particularly well informed on animal welfare concerns and still got a lot from this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thanking the Monkey.

09/09/2009 page 37