Joy-Aisling's Reviews > Labyrinth

Labyrinth by Kate Mosse

Jul 12, 09

bookshelves: cliché-pie, wibbly-wobbly-timey-wimey, historical-fiction, grail-quest
Read in January, 2008

Although this book had a lot of story elements that I like - historical fiction, time issues, a Grail quest, the Cathar heresy, a mirrored plot - but I found it boring, blandly written and utterly predictable. I wasn't surprised by any of the plot twists, I wasn't really engaged by any of the characters, and the way that the modern characters mirrored their Cathar 'ancestors' was frustratingly simplistic, and utterly detracted from the interest I had in the research that had obviously gone into the story. The modern 'fulfilment' of the character relationships in the past felt contrived and unrealistic, because the roles were written far too similarly between the times.

I did enjoy the Cathar setting, though; it was interesting to see the C13th heroine reacting and changing to her surroundings.

Labyrinth is fine as a quick, time-passing holiday read, but I didn't actively like it very much. And the "Discussion Questions" at the end seemed both annoyingly self-serving and laughably simplistic. But my frustration at the disappointing ending might have been colouring my judgement there.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Labyrinth.