El's Reviews > Medea and Other Plays

Medea and Other Plays by Euripides

Jul 12, 09

bookshelves: thespian-stuff
Read in July, 2009

I picked this book of plays by Euripides primarily for Medea, so that will earn the brunt of my review.

Medea is one kick-ass, crazy bitch. Period. Having read Jason and the Golden Fleece and thoroughly enjoyed it I was excited to read more about Medea, particularly her story after helping Jason find the Golden Fleece. Talk about one spurned lover! After Jason leaves Medea for a Greek princess, Medea goes a little bye-bye and decides the best way for her to express her distaste is to kill off her children. Someone get that lady a diary or a canvas or something! Girl, there are better ways of creatively expressing your feelings than going straight for the spawn. I'm just sayin'.

Really though, she's not a woman to be trifled with and while I love her story I'm a little peeved with Euripides for portraying yet another woman on the crazy side of things. The Big E had a habit of being somewhat misogynistic and that's obvious here, even in his attempt to be a big boy and tell the story from the woman's point of view.

In contemporary stories Medea might be referred to as Emily Valentine from the early seasons of Beverly Hills, 90210. She had no children, so she went all firebug instead. But the premise is the same. Mostly.

The other plays in this small collection were pretty okay. The second best is Aclestis where the title character spends a great deal of time dying, her husband mourning, and Death being duped. All in all, good times. The other plays did not hold up in my opinion, but really it's hard to compete with Medea, both the woman and the play. I'm digging this girl. Though not someone I wish to aspire to become, her psychosis is incredibly fascinating. (And if during this fascination I cut my hair short, dye it blond so my roots are always showing and start driving a motorcycle and getting all cow-eyed for Brandon Walsh after slipping drugs into his drink, please intervene. Thanks.)
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Medea and Other Plays.

message 1: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda Oh no, I'm not intervening, I'm going to be handing you the hair dye! LOL

Best review ever.

message 2: by El (new) - rated it 4 stars

El Just be sure to put the hair dye in the hand that is not holding the lighter fluid.

I have more faith in the world knowing there's at least one other person in existence who knows who Emily Valentine was. And can talk about her with me as if she was a real person. :)

message 3: by Alex (new) - added it

Alex BTW, when I Googled "Best Euripides plays" just now, this GR page comes up on page 2 of the results and for Google's summary it says "El said: I picked this book of plays by Euripides primarily for Medea, ..."

You're like famous or whatever.

message 4: by El (new) - rated it 4 stars

El Huh, I'm a bit insulted I'm not on page 1, but I'll take fame in whatever form Google gives it.