Jennifer's Reviews > Hate List

Hate List by Jennifer Brown

Aug 04, 09

bookshelves: bpl-mock-printz-2010
Read in July, 2009

** spoiler alert ** ***SPOILER ALERT***Thought-provoking, sad and disarming, this book is a reflection on school shootings and the effects they have on the survivors.

Val has been with Nick for 3 years and loves him, even though she's found him difficult to talk to recently. At the beginning of their relationship, she shares her "hate list" with him (people who she hates) and they find they have a mutual dislike of many. One day, Nick comes to school with a gun and targets not only those on the list, but others. Val finds herself trying to figure out whether or not she was the cause of the shootings, even though she was the one who stopped Nick at the end.

I could not put this book down once I started it. Although it wouldn't be considered "literary" in the traditional sense, I think the author deals with a very difficult subject matter with grace. The author never sensationalizes the shootings and creates a fully-realized character in Val.

Teens are going to eat this book up. I have a feeling that once they start reading it, it's going to fly off the shelves in libraries and bookstores.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hate List.

Comments (showing 1-4)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Roxy I Know what you mean with the tears!! Im not even finished it and ive almost one through half a tissue box!!

Roxy Gone**

Rina You're so right. This was a very difficult subject to not only write about but to protray it in a way that was so realistic. Everyone's reactions to this tragity was exactly how it really would have been. Adding the news paper snippits was a very nice touch, it just made the book that much better. Well done Jennifer Brown.

Taylor Jones spoiler!!!!!!!