Frank's Reviews > Crossover: Krisálys Chronicles of Féyree: Scroll 1

Crossover by Claudia Newcorn

Jul 12, 09

Read in June, 2009

I would actually like to give this book 4 1/2 stars.

For those of us who love high-fantasy, this book is a welcome relief. The characters are interesting and well-wrought. The story is extremely entertaining - once you get beyond the first 12 or 20 pages. The author's imagination is wild and rampant yet her vocabulary and expression is deep. The plot is also symbolically very applicable to the failings of modern social structures.

Even more, the author is not afraid to employ magic appropriate for the level of literature that high-fantasy demands. Let's face it, there is a lingering reticence to employ magic even in high-fantasy for fear of alienating more conservative light fantasy readers.

But what is fantasy if not a medium to explore who we are on a higher level? True, not everyone follows a story symbolically, but the idea of non-functional and oppressive leadership can be gleaned by all. Tolkein himself ranted against symbollism and hidden meanings in his afterwords yet the basic natures of heroism and selflessness remain symbols highly associated with Frodo and Sam.

The story is magic and the author is a very sage architect behind the magic which gives a great sense of cohesiveness to the overall work.

So, with all of this praise, why not assign it 5 stars? The book needs some more editing. Not all of us are willing to 'hang in there' for the first few dozen pages until the author gets her legs under her. Several points throughout the story, I was thrown out of the story by sentences that had obvious disconnects and grammatical errors (considering the author's eloquent and creative style).

New authors like us, however, struggle with what resources we have available to us. We're like race horses in that no one takes a gamble on us until we win a few races on our own.

With that said, read and I know you'll enjoy!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crossover.