Peter's Reviews > The Weather Makers: How Man Is Changing the Climate and What It Means for Life on Earth

The Weather Makers by Tim Flannery

Jul 11, 09

Read in July, 2009

A lucid overview, though it definitely zooms around a lot, in time, space and in its considerations of the different facets of the climate change problem. Two specific comments:

Was interesting to see how much Flannery quotes Alfred Russel Wallace, of The Malay Archipelago The land of the orang-utan and the bird of paradise a narrative of travel with studies of man and nature. I've never read later Wallace, understanding that his later works devolve into weird late-Victorian spiritualism. But Flannery rescues his writing on the atmosphere, on "the Great Aerial Ocean", and recommends his last great work Man's Place In The Universe, "full of insights that resonate with an environmentally aware twenty-first century". So it's on my too-read list.

Flannery concludes his book with a call to action. And it's a reasonably effective call-to-action too. Inspired by that, let me ask this question to all my Singapore friends. Given how much sunshine we get, why is that solar water heaters are so little used in Singapore? I've asked architects and contractors this question, and they say, oh, no, too expensive, no good, etc. And I haven't pushed. But really, what's the deal? In so many other places around the world they are very common. Athens, Chengdu, etc.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Weather Makers.