Valerie's Reviews > City of Ashes

City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare

Jul 11, 2009

bookshelves: fantasy
Read in July, 2009

Those who have read the first book will still enjoy the second I'm sure. The characters start to develop, but they don't completely change. Things are always moving forward. And the ending makes you want more; there are tons of unanswered questions that I honestly can't go on not knowing.

This has all the elements of the first. You get to see more in depth of this new world that Clary was thrown into. Different points of view are presented more often. You still get a lot of Clary's point of view, but you also get Jace's, Simon's, and a few other characters. This dosen't make it hard to follow so there is no need to worry there.

However, I couldn't like this book to the same degree as the first. It was still good but there wasn't as much action in the first half of the book as I would've liked. It's got more drama going on. The love triangle or square or polygon is constantly resurfacing. I still gave it 4 stars because the second half of the book makes up for the missing action in the first half. Things are still going on in the first half, just not as much.

Clary still isn't a great shadow hunter with all these great skills at fighting but she does get some marks and discovers new talents. The last thing I want to add isn't really important but I just want to say that curly haired people do NOT brush their hair. Since Clary apparently does, her hair is a ball of frizz.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Ashes.

07/14/2009 page 85
07/16/2009 page 325
71.74% "Everyone just seems so sad. NO ONE is happy."
07/17/2009 page 453
100.0% "I'm satisfied." 1 comment

Cara (Insert my BIG hearty laugh here) I'm pretty sure you know how it sounds:) Now I'll have to imagine Clary with big frizzy hair.

Astoria It's true about the curly hair. I have curly hair, and I refuse to brush it, cause every time I do, it goes wild.

Hava I missed Clary brushing her hair (I tend to skim when I read) but you're absolutely right - I would NEVER brush my hair (I have naturally curly hair). I don't even own a hair brush! My hair gets detangled when I put mousse into it every morning and run my fingers through my hair to spread the mousse out. People who don't have curly hair don't understand this idea, but I promise you, curly-haired people aren't brushing anything, unless they want an afro. :-p

Valerie Exactly! I don't own a brush either. Straight-haired people just don't understand *sniff*.