Tara's Reviews > The Chosen One

The Chosen One by Carol Lynch Williams

Apr 23, 10

bookshelves: favorites, young-adult
Read from April 21 to 23, 2010

What a ride this book was! This is a tender, but gut-wrenching story about a brave 13-year-old girl who is in love with a boy who is wonderful, but forced to marry her uncle (50 years older than her). The prophet and her uncle were horrible, horrible people. There were many times I got that feeling you get when you watch a horror movie, you know the feeling, when you want to yell at the screen "Don't do it!!" One of the best things for me was that Williams was able to really capture the spirit of Kyra. I could imagine her thinking and saying the things that were said, and feeling the wide range of emotions that she did.
Since, Polygamy is not my way of life, I found myself wanting to talk sense into her, but Williams was able to portray the complex feelings that kids growing up in this environment have, and how kids and adults in this type of community can see the cruel ways of their leader and stay. I was really able to empathize with them and understand why the characters did what they did.
It was a wonderful little treat, and highly recommended!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Chosen One.

04/22/2010 page 136
100% "What an amazing book! Her uncle is truly a disgusting man."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tara (new)

Tara Chevrestt Hey, have you seen this new upcomng release? Hidden Wives. Same topic but a tad different I think. I may have to read this one myself. I eagerly await your review.

message 2: by Alex (new) - added it

Alex Can I borrow it from you?

Tara I haven't, but I will check it out. I don't know why but stories about the polygamist groups are so interesting to me, especially after watching the HBO show "Big Love".

message 4: by Tara (new)

Tara Chevrestt I don't usually go for them but that Hidden Wives caught my eye. And maybe this one. Waiting to see what you think first.

message 5: by Tara (new)

Tara Chevrestt Oh by the way, there is a giveaway for Hidden Wives.

Tara I entered the giveaway. It sounds really similar to this one, but it is a really interesting topic.