J. Dunn's Reviews > The Autobiography of Malcolm X

The Autobiography of Malcolm X by Malcolm X

Another in an ongoing series of American readings, wherein I'm trying to get a better overall picture of my country's character and history. An impressive and inspiring story of a man who dragged himself up from nothing against great odds; a man of astounding will, personality, integrity, and intelligence, all of which were severely stunted by the society he lived in. It’s also a good look into the kinds of conditions that foster and perhaps even justify radicalism. I can at least understand, if not necessarily condone, his divergence from King and the integrationist/civil rights movement after reading about what he and his family/friends went through as black Americans. I can see how one could come to the conclusions that he did, given his harrowing experience, even if I don’t agree in the end. Of course, neither did he, in the end. It’s too bad he didn’t live to finish his evolution as Al-Hajj Malik El-Shabazz. It would have been a great ending to an already inspiring and gripping story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Autobiography of Malcolm X.