Tiffany's Reviews > The Rapture of Canaan

The Rapture of Canaan by Sheri Reynolds

Oct 05, 07

bookshelves: oprahsbookclublist, fiction
Recommended for: oprah's book club fans, religious fanatics, women
Read in October, 2007

I actually liked this book a lot I would have liked it more but I wasn't so big on the ending. There was quite a few very interesting chapters in a vague disjointed kind of way.

It's the story of a young girl who finds herself in a bit of a position after she gets pregnant. She lives within a cultish community that is so far overboard they are fanatics lead by Ninah's grandfather who wasn't the same when he came back from war.

It's got both interesting little sides stories in it, as well as the main story, and her future.

The author did everything she could to shock you while trying to make Ninah feel like it was completely normal... but she almost did it to well. The story is past the unbelievable line into ridicules by the end. Which is a shame.

There was one thing from the book though I've taken with me and deeply thought about upon completion of it. Being a girl who loves to read stories about revenge... I liked this part of the book best.

"Grudges are bad things, Ninah," she said at last. "There's only so much room in one heart. You can fill it up with love or you can fill it with resentment. But every bit of resentment you hold takes space away from the love. And the resentment don't do no good noway, but look what love can do."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rapture of Canaan.