Nicholas's Reviews > The Essential Drucker

Jul 10, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: business, books-i-quit, management
Read in April, 2009

** spoiler alert ** I don't think I gave this book a fair shake. I don't think I was focusing on it very well. It was just really boring. Read Innovation and Entrepreneurship. That book rules.

Quotes:

"The fundamental task of management remains the same: to make people capable of joint performance through common goals, cmmon values, the right structure, and the training and development they need to perform and to respond to change. But the very meaning of this task has changed, if only because the performance of management has converted the workforce from one composed largely of unskilled laborers to one of highly educated knowledge workers."

"Management is not exclusively business management. It pertains to every human effort hat brings together in one organization people of diverse knowledge and skills."

"In fact, social innovation - as this chapter tries to make clear - may be of greater importance and have much greater impact than any scientific or technical invention."

"Management is about human beings. Its task is to make people capable of joint performance, to make their strengths effective and their weaknesses irrelevant."

"There will always, one can assume, be the need for some selling. But the aim of marketing is to make selling superfluous. The aim of marketing is to know and understand the customer so well that the product or service fits him and sells itself."

"With respect to the definition of business purpose and business mission, there is only one such focus, one starting point. It is the customer. The customer defines the business. A business is not defined by the company's name, statutes, or articles of incorporation. It is defined by the want the customer satisfies when he or she buys a product or a service. To satisfy the customer is the mission and purpose of every business. The question, What is our business? can, therefore, be answered only by looking at the business from the outside, from the point of view of customer and market. All the customer is interested in are his or her own values, wants, and reality. For this reason alone, any serious attempt to state "what our business is" must start with the customer's realities, his situation, his behavior, his expectations, and his values."

"Success always makes obsolete the very behavior that achieved it. It always creates new realities. It always creates, above all, its own and different problems."

"Good intentions are no substitute for organization and leadership, for accountability, performance, and results."

"To make elimination of of an impact into a business opportunity should always be attempted. But it cannot be done in many cases. More often eliminating an impact means increasing the costs. What was an "externality" for which the general public paid becomes business cost. It therefore becomes a competitive disadvantage unless everybody in the industry accepts the same rule. And this, in most cases, can be done only by regulation - that means by some form of public action."

"If the investment is successful - and especially if it is more successful than we expect - what will it commit us to?"

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Essential Drucker.