Brandon's Reviews > Coyote Blue

Coyote Blue by Christopher Moore

Jul 30, 09

Read in July, 2009

After reading two books by Christopher Moore, there's a definite motif of people in need of change teaming up with supernatural assholes who are familiar with human behavior but have no clue about human civilization. That relationship works well and the progression of Moore as an author from the first book to this second one is very evident as Sam and Coyote are the focus as opposed to Augustus Brine and the djinn sharing time with Catch and Travis. At this stage in the game, the biggest weak spot I can see in Moore's writing comes down to female characters: they suck. Calliope is supposed to be a dream girl hippie chick and what happens to her is supposed to have resonance with the reader, but she isn't as developed throughout the novel for that to work. I found myself wondering why Sam cares so much about this woman that he sees for the first time, and that's not established very well at all. That and the rushed ending that feels like a bit of a cop out lowered the rating for me to three stars, but the rest of the book makes for a fun, compelling read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Coyote Blue.

07/19/2009 page 89
07/20/2009 page 136
44.88% "Hippies are so wacky."
07/24/2009 page 199
65.68% "Moore seems to like mysterious dudes paired with supernatural jerks."
07/28/2009 page 248
81.85% "Hey, Augustus Brine was mentioned!"