Christina's Reviews > Mistress of Pemberley

Mistress of Pemberley by Isobel Scott Moffat

Jul 15, 09

bookshelves: 2009-reads, mr-darcy
Read in July, 2009

While Elizabeth hasn’t completely turned into her mother, she has become quite the matchmaker in Moffat’s sequel, Mistress of Pemberley. This sequel beings two and a half years after Pride and Prejudice with the funeral of Mrs. Bennet. I was concerned at first that without Mrs. Bennet there would be very little conflict and comedic relief, but Moffat quickly gets Darcy, Elizabeth, and Catherine de Bourgh back on speaking terms and introduces Catherine’s daughter, Anne, as a major source of conflict and plot. Elizabeth wants Anne and Georgiana, now the closest of cousins and friends, to be as blissfully happy as she is with Darcy. The only thing that would make her even more happier is a child, but that doesn’t seem to be in the cards for her and Darcy. Although, it’s apparent he may already have a son.

I would have given Mistress of Pemberley a solid four-stars had it not been for the typos and mistakes within the story that had me questioning how much Moffat really knows Pride and Prejudice. It’s nothing major — she knows her characters and the plot line — but when Elizabeth and Mr. Bennet are discussing baby names for Charlotte Collins’ daughter, Mr. Bennet says he and his wife never considered the name Catherine for one of their daughters. Um, Kitty is a nickname for Catherine. This mistake is something that stuck with me, and the typos include Elizabeth mistakenly referring to her childhood home as Netherfield and Pemberley or being called by her maiden name after marriage.

What I did love was Moffat’s interpretations of the characters of Mr. Bennet and Anne de Bourgh. I always wondered how Mr. Bennet came to marry Mrs. Bennet, and it was nice to see how his life after her death. Anne’s transformation from sickly and shy is believable as it slowly comes about; it’s just wonderfully written. Just don’t expect to see any of Charlotte, other than through mention by other characters, or Colonel Fitzwilliam.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mistress of Pemberley.

07/12/2009 page 20