Dan Porter's Reviews > Ender's Game

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Aug 11, 2016

Read in July, 2009 , read count: 1

Card's insights on leadership and the development of it were interesting and could have been explored further. The depictions of what were essentially laptops and blogging didn't seem very futuristic until I remembered that this was written in 1977...the year I graduated from college and was still using computer terminals the size of school desks to do very basic modeling of things like traffic-light timing. I didn't like the portrayal of the children as having mature personalities merely because of their advanced intelligence. I can see gaining maturity because of the situation into which they were thrust, but here they started with that level of maturity and didn't grow in it throughout the book. We'll see how well this one sticks with me before I decide whether to read the rest of the Ender Series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ender's Game.

04/04 marked as: read
08/10 marked as: sci-fi
08/11 marked as: read

Sandi I completely agree with you about the maturity of the kids. That's what bugged me most about this book.

Misty I just listened to this book on CD, and at the end Card talks about writing this book and how it came about, which was interesting. He also says he believes his books are better when listened to/read out loud, since his background is as a playwright. I'm definitely interested in the next book, and if you ever decide to read it (if you haven't already), I'd suggest getting it on audio CD instead.

message 3: by Mandie (new) - added it

Mandie Mc Have you read Speaker for the Dead? I think, based on your review, that you would really enjoy it. Personally, I think it's the best of the series.

Sandra The Beans spin-off is a better option if you want to continue with this series versus continuing with Ender. His books deal a lot with his guilt and get kind of slow.

Katrina Lantz The maturity thing bothered me, too, but in Card's special edition preface, he wrote about this being the most stolen book from libraries at the time, and how gifted students would tell him they felt they were reading about themselves. So maybe we underestimated the emotional maturity of kids, or else they over-estimate themselves. Either way, it seemed to resonate with gifted kids for exactly this reason.

Kimberley Dan, I agree with your review. I was entertained by the book but there was just something....lacking. I, too, had to keep reminding myself that this was an old book technologically. I'll probably read the rest, but not right now.

Elizabeth Great review, Dan, as always. I am in agreement with you. You put into words what is wasn't able to articulate. Well done.