Deirdre Keating's Reviews > Happy All the Time

Jul 25, 09

bookshelves: fiction
Recommended to Deirdre by: Lori Pickert
Read in July, 2009 — I own a copy

I wanted to love this one, but I can only muster liking it. I'm knee deep in Colwin this month, having just finished her Home Cooking and already started her short story collection (the Frank & Billy love story)---and I like both of those more than this novel.

Of course I adore a story of a pessimistic, neurotic girl who falls for an optimistic guy with a simple outlook on life;-) That story line all rang true. However his cousin, whom I liked, and his wife Holly, seemed anachronistic---did such people exist in the 70s/80s? Do they still?

My problem is much like Misty's, I just can't believe things would always turn out so well. And it reminded me of Turandot, and the female fantasy that the more you mistreat a guy, the more he'll adore you.

Reminded me a bit of Crossing to Safety, in the modesty of its intentions and the subject of two friends and their marriages. Perhaps having that comparison in mind hampered my enthusiasm...few books come close to Stegner.

I'll have to reread it again at some point, because if Lori loves it, there must be more to it.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Happy All the Time.