Dina's Reviews > Running Wild

Running Wild by Sarah McCarty

1918270
Jul 27, 09

bookshelves: erotica-romantica, paranormal-romance, anthology, to-blog
Read in July, 2009

I started reading this book as if it was an anthology, so I was less than thrilled when I finished the 1st story and there were some unsolved businesses - not only related to the overall story arc but to the H/h's HEA too. Somewhere around the 2nd story, I realized Running Wild was more like a 3-part book instead of a traditional anthology. The 3 short stories were strongly connected and there was a continuous flow tying them together. Each story focused on a different couple working their way to their HEA, but the 1st 2 stories closed with a somewhat "partial" HEA and it was necessary to read the 3rd story to get full closure. That's probably why I thought the 3rd story was the weakest of the bunch, there was no room to develop the couple du jour's relationship and tie all the loose ends at the same time.

Even though this wasn't a traditional anthology, it had the same problems that make me wary of them: there wasn't enough character development to make me care for the H/h and their falling-in-love was too rushed. All the 3 heroes were very alpha, protective, loving, and very similar to each other. One could swap them and never know the difference - that's where a better character development would come in handy. As for the heroines, they were more distinguishable and each had a distinct personality. My favorite was Robin, the heroine in the 2nd story - which happened to be my favorite story too.

As for the love scenes, Ms. McCarty can write some long ones and so she did here, but I found myself skimming through some of them. They just didn't engage my attention, probably because I wasn't feeling too connected to the heroes. That's not good when I'm reading romantica novels.

All things considered, this was only an OK read for me. I miss the author who wrote the 1st 2 books in the Promises series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Running Wild.

07/26/2009 page 1
0.28% "After one so-so read and one stinker, I hope this one turns out to be a winner..."
07/26/2009 page 140
38.78% "The 1st story didn't give me enough closure to accept the HEA the way it was written. I hope the following stories fix that." 2 comments
07/26/2009 page 252
69.81% "Finished the 2nd story and, once again, there are some unfinished business. I think this isn't an anthology, it's one book with 3 parts."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rane (new)

Rane Great Review Dina! I like some anthologies, but most are not so great but for a quick read

Dina Thanks, Rane! I feel the same way. :)

message 3: by Laura (new)

Laura It's hard to find a good anthology, but I have found a few, and they are Keeper Shelf stuff because they are so rare (LOL). I actually liked this book much better than her novels. Her novels drive me crazy with all the stuff that slows down the pace to a snail's dance. Especially the waaaaaaay-too-chatty-too-long sex scenes. Maybe I just have a short attention span? ROFL

xoxo
Laura Stamps
Author of Erotica and Paranormal Romance Novels
http://www.LauraStamps.blogspot.com (excerpts from all of my novels)
http://laura-stamps8.livejournal.com (my naughty Author Blog/updated daily)

Dina Laura wrote: "Especially the waaaaaaay-too-chatty-too-long sex scenes."

You nailed it, Laura! Call me crazy but McCarty's sex scenes sometimes put me to sleep. Not a good thing for an erotica/romantica author.

message 5: by Laura (new)

Laura Hey, I was trying to be kind. Her sex scenes do the same to me. I'm bored, I'm sleepy, I'm NOT horny while reading them. Far from it. I don't know why she runs them for chapter after chapter with a million interruptions so by the time you get to the end, you're just glad to get it OVER and put me out of my misery! Not what you want your readers to think (LOL).

Writing a hot sex scsne is actually very hard. It's all timing: a bit of dialogue, lots of physical action, and a bit of thought. But all of those 3 parts have to be centered around SEX. And she just brings in too many other subjects into her sex scenes. I'm not a fan of her novels for this reason. So I liked this one best. It made me think maybe she's better at sex in a novella because she HAS to cut it short and sweet, ya know? Whatever it takes. LOL

xoxo
Laura Stamps
Author of Erotica and Paranormal Romance Novels
http://www.LauraStamps.blogspot.com (excerpts from all of my novels)
http://laura-stamps8.livejournal.com (my naughty Author Blog/updated daily)