Karen Workun's Reviews > The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Jul 10, 2009

bookshelves: yal-summer-09
Read in July, 2009

This book captured my attention from the very first pages. It is such an intensely unique concept that I had to check it out. I just have to say...I LOVED THIS BOOK. The protagonist, Katniss Everdeen, is a butt-kicking heroine that is the antithesis to the Gossip Girls of today. While the book is filled with action and suspense, which would definitely appeal to male readers, I am more than certain that Katniss would increase the book's appeal to female readers...I know I loved her! It seems to be difficult to find a book that could clearly be enjoyed by either gender, and The Hunger Games is definitely one of these novels. While I am unsure about how adaptable it is in a secondary language arts curriculum, I will definitely be keeping this one on the shelf in my classroom for a couple of reasons:

1. I loved this book so much I want to recommend it to anyone and everyone who asks, "Know of any good books I should read?"

2. This book has become my go-to suggestion for reluctant readers, which I had many of last year. The language is straight-forward, and the plot is beyond engaging, making it a perfect recommendation for those students who "hate reading". If this book doesn't hook them, then I don't know what will.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunger Games.

07/14/2009 page 243