Suzie Q's Reviews > The Thief Lord

The Thief Lord by Cornelia Funke

Jul 10, 09

liked it
Read in July, 2009

I like to pick up YA novels for light reading, so at my last trip to the library, I grabbed this one. I had seen it at the book store several times, but the synopsis never really grabbed me. Honestly, I think the reason I picked it up finally was becasue of the cover art. A very small silhouette of the title character on a cool blue back drop of Venice finally caused my curiosity to get the best of me.
Prosper and his young brother, Bo, escape their grandfather's house to prevent Aunt Esther, a rich snobbish woman, from gaining custody of Bo and seperating the brothers.
They end up in Venice, a city their late mother had told them was full of magic. While there,they end up with some nice but down-on-their-luck kids who are being taken care of by the titular character, nee Scipio. Scipio brings treasures he claims are stolen from the houses of the wealthy. The others take his plunder to a shady antiques dealer.
But Scipio harbors a secret that would devastate their "operation". To top it all off, Aunt Esther has hired Victor, a Private Eye, to find the boys.
It was a fun story to read with interesting characters. I would say that it wasn't as magical as I thought it would be. It struck me more as a light mystery more than anything.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Thief Lord.