Alicia's Reviews > The Seven Chinese Brothers

The Seven Chinese Brothers by Margaret Mahy

F 50x66
Jul 10, 09

bookshelves: kids, social-studies

This is an interesting folk tale and I like that the book emphasizes different gifts that different people have. I just wish that folk tales didn't have to be so violent.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Seven Chinese Brothers.

Yuli Alicia, I think the violence in the story is unavoidable because it was reflecting the Chinese culture in that era. I'm sure not only Chinese culture but also any other culture at that time was quite violent in term of war & punishments. If I'm not wrong, this is not the only children folk tale that has violence in it. I happened to read one of the Japanese folktales like Issun boshi that also has the element of violence in it and the illustration is probably even scarier than this book.

While Qin Shih Huang (Emperor Qin) is a great emperor who united China but he is an Emperor with an iron fist & lots of stories about his great deed but also his violence. I didn't mean to bore you by the story of Emperor Qin. My point is instead of shielding our children from the existence of violence in this world, wouldn't it be better if we can explained it to our children that these things had happened in the past & show our children that this is not a good thing, so they should not copy it. We can also use this chance to teach them that we have law that regulates our life in our era now & what happened if we don't follow the rule/law. So, we should be following the rules at home, the laws where we live & be good citizen. :)