Katrina Burchett's Reviews > The Devil is a Lie

The Devil is a Lie by ReShonda Tate Billingsley

Jul 27, 2009

bookshelves: books-i-own, christian-fiction
Read in July, 2009

Nina Lawson is estatic when she finds out she won millions of dollars in the Texas Lotto. And when she assures her fiance, Rick Henderson, it isn't just her money but "their" money, he's happy that he'll finally be able to live his dream of owning a business. The word gets out about Nina's big win and family she hasn't seen in quite some time shows up expecting their share. This isn't really a problem for Nina since she has a giving heart and wants to share the wealth to bring happiness to certain family members. But she isn't at all pleased when her ex-husband, Todd Lawson, and his girlfriend, Pam, expect half of the $16 million ($8.6 million after taxes). Then so many other unexpected things start happening and Nina regrets she ever won the lottery.
This was an entertaining read! I love it when I find a book that can make me laugh. Some of the things Nina's family did, some of the things they said - so funny. And I really liked Chapter 26. The way it began I thought I knew what Nina was going to discover but it was something totally different - so, so funny! I also really liked Nina's grandmother, Odessa; a woman of Godly character and wisdom.
I've heard the saying 'money changes people' but it's my belief that money brings out the "real" person. Pam, this woman was the voice of Satan. But even though Satan used her to destroy Nina's marriage, God had plans of His own. The ending was just what I hoped it would be.
I've read two of Billingsley's young adult novels, which I really enjoyed, but this is the first adult novel I've read. Her characters are always believable, stories always entertaining and she doesn't write long, drawn out chapters; she gets right to the point and moves on. There's one thing I didn't agree with in this one and that's the mention of karma, but, other than that, like I mentioned before The Devil Is a Lie was an entertaining read.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devil is a Lie.