southpaw285's Reviews > Just the Sexiest Man Alive

Just the Sexiest Man Alive by Julie James

Jul 21, 09

Read in July, 2009

Taylor Donavan is an up and coming star attorney in a prestigious Chicago law firm. Jason Andrews is a Hollywood superstar who has been voted the Sexiest Man Alive, three years running.

Taylor has been sent to LA to try a $30 million law suit involving the EEOC. Her new boss has also given her a small assignment on the side. She must work with actor Jason Andrews to help him prepare for his upcoming roll in a legal thriller.

The heroine, Taylor Donavan is the star of this novel, with everyone else (hero included) having very little existence. While it is easy to see and feel the witticism of the heroine, the remaining characters are dull and lifeless. The author simply does nothing to bring them to life.

In one particular instance, the author indicates a certain scene will take place with a secondary character involving the heroine. This scene is continuously built up throughout the book, but never comes to conclusion. You keep waiting for a showdown that never happens.

Last, but certainly not least – the ending does not flow smoothly. While it does have a happily ever after, it is choppy at best.

The only reason for two stars is the witticism of the heroine, which is the only thing I enjoyed about this book.

Strike One!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Just the Sexiest Man Alive.

07/21/2009 page 160

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dina (new)

Dina Nice review, southpaw! After reading many reviews praising this book, it was interesting to hear a different opinion about it. The strong focus on the heroine screams "chick lit" to me, and that's not my favorite genre.

message 2: by MelissaB (new) - added it

MelissaB I have read a few negative reviews. I decided it wasn't for me because there are no love scenes from what I heard and I really hate it when the author slams the door in my face, it pretty much ruins the book.

southpaw285 Thanks Dina. I new the ratings for this book were high. It was hard to write the negative review because it goes against what everyone else is saying. Everyone sees things differently, and that's the beauty of this site.

southpaw285 Melissab wrote: "I decided it wasn't for me because there are no love scenes from what I heard and I really hate it when the author slams the door in my face, it pretty much ruin..."

Melissa, you are absolutely right. At the risk of giving too much away, there are no love scenes. The thing I hate more about this though, is the fact that the author strongly aludes to the attraction between the hero and heroine, but she never follows thru with it. For lack of a better way to phrase it....it's all talk, no action.

message 5: by Dina (new)

Dina No love scenes? Okay, I'm convinced. I just deleted this book from my Wish List.

Shawna Dina wrote: "No love scenes? Okay, I'm convinced. I just deleted this book from my Wish List."

Darn...I already bought this one...didn't realize it was so PG!

Tammy Great review! Definitely made up my mind - I've been wavering one this one for quite some time. I read an excerpt and wasn't overly excited to read about the daily in's and out's of a law office (been there/doing that!). The PG rating was the last straw!

message 8: by Fani (new) - added it

Fani southpaw, I wanted to say how much I agree with you, even though I read only the first 100 pages so far and it doesn't seem as if I'm gonna read anymore of this.

This has a strong chick lit vibe -which I don't generally dislike- and the fact that the hero has actually slept with every female in the star-system (or out of it) is a big turn off for me.

I also disliked the fact that she had to make the heroine beautiful as well as extremely intelligent and professionally succesful in order to attract his interest. If she wanted to show that he had some depth, I believe she should have gone with a more average person, while she's obviously not your girl next door.

southpaw285 Ouch - 1 star, Fani...but I completely agree with you.

This was one of those books where I wish I had my time back.

Goddess I agree with you as I rad Practice Makes Perfect first and it had much better drawn out characters. In Practise Makes Perfect we begin to know the main character's (Payton and Tyler) friends, parents and co-workers hence it adds substance to the main characters. For example although we're introduced to Jason's friend Jeremy, we know nothing about his family or upbringing. And I also thought the engagement and happily ever after happened far too soon. Perhaps if we re-visited like an epilogue than it'd be far more convincing