Ashley's Reviews > The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie

Feb 20, 2010

bookshelves: own, atypical, favorites

Wow. This was not what I was expecting, but it was so much better. This book was both funny and heart-wrenching, thought-provoking and simple, tragic and heart-warming. It really opened my eyes to a lot of things I had never thought of before. I don't know much at all about life on a reservation, but what I read here just breaks my heart. That Arnold/Junior can have any hope at all is amazing. It felt real to me, like I was really reading someone's private thougts and feelings. And the cartoons were a great addition as well.
Overall, a great book.

Inoli I loved what you had to say about this. I really liked this as well and have put another Sherman Alexie on my TBR. Glad you liked it so much.

Ashley Thanks. You'll have to let me know what you think of Alexie's other books. I know this is his first YA, and sometimes authors have really weird transitions between genres- really good adult and odd/bad YA or vice versa, so it would be nice to hear what someone has who has read both.

Bonnie I read an Alexie short story collection (The Toughest Indian in the World) before I read this and liked Absolutely True Diaries a LOT better. When I was reading the short story collection I thought that maybe I should have just waited until I could read Alexie's YA because a lot of the problems I had with his stories wouldn't appear in his YA. I was partly right. Basically, Alexie's writing is overall angry and lots of bits were sexual in a sort of blunt, crude way. This was toned down a bit (but not as much as I thought it would be) in Absolutely True Diary. I liked Absolutely True Diary a lot, and there were several scenes in some of the short stories I really liked, so I'll definitely read another Alexie YA (if he ever writes one) and might give one of his other books a chance, but I'm a bit wary. If the anger and the sexuality don't bother you at all, then you'll probably like his other stuff (and that's not to say his anger isn't justified it's just that it can get pretty intense and after being hammered with it in story after story, it got to be a bit much for me). He is a very good writer with a good sense of character and dialogue and that in itself can be worthwhile.

Ashley Interesting. I don't normally love short stories. I always want to, and think that this time, it will be different, but I'm almost always disappointed. Maybe I'll give his a try. Who knows, but I think I would definitely read more YA from him. I was quite impressed with the quality of writing in this book.