Kirsti's Reviews > The Tale of Two Bad Mice

The Tale of Two Bad Mice by Beatrix Potter

Jul 14, 09

bookshelves: read-with-the-boys
Read in July, 2009

** spoiler alert ** In spite of the book's titular warning, and in spite of my conscious awareness of Beatrix Potter's penchant for protagonists whose mischief (defying both decorum and legality) very seldom sees little come-uppance beyond going-to-bed-without-any-supper, I was rather surprised at how edgy The Tale of Two Bad Mice was in its subversive glorification of the ill-doings Tom Thumb and Hunca Munca. Sacking and looting a dollhouse out of mere spite over its inedible (and stolen) table spread, these two mice receive no punishment, and much booty, from their plunder of Lucinda & Jane's well-kept house. The pictures indicate that such disregard for The Law (as embodied by the "doll dressed like a police [officer:]") is even passed down to the mouselings -- indeed, Hunca Munca's attempted goodwill offering promulgates the breaking-and-entering with which the Tale begins.

For all that, I rather enjoyed Potter's usual, quirky tongue-in-cheek style, and proclaim this Tale a very Good Read indeed. As for my son, he approves in general terms of any work of literature that involves repeated use of the name "Hunca Munca."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tale of Two Bad Mice.