Nancy's Reviews > Shutter Island

Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane

Sep 13, 09

Read in July, 2009, read count: 1 too many

I picked up Shutter Island after seeing a movie trailer that made it look intriguing.
Lehane is a story-teller and the book was like a game of Clue. There were many groan-out-loud similes which took the place of good writing as did the macho language used by Daniels and the officials at the hospital. Most of the other patients were the to-be-expected goons.
Teddy Daniels, a US. Marshal, goes to Ashecliffe Hospital on Shutter Island to find the murderer of his wife. There are all the usual trappings of investigation of drug and surgical experimentation and Teddy and his partner, Chuck Aule, (if you can believe that name), soon think they are prisoners at the asylum.
If you want to scare yourself to death, better to read non-fiction stories about Hitler's Germany during World War II or real life experiments on African-Americans when the U.S. was trying to medically discover the effects of syphilis.
As I scan the other reviews of this book, I find myself in the minority on its popularity. Maybe this is just a guy book or maybe you have to take it for what it is - entertainment of a sort.

"It is not a novel to be thrown aside lightly. It should be thrown aside with great force." -- Dorothy Parker.
7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shutter Island.

07/10/2009 page 172

message 1: by Laura (last edited Jul 16, 2009 10:42AM) (new)

Laura Sounds gruesome as well as disappointing. At least my to-read list is safe from this one!

Nancy Don't worry. I'm making a list of all-time favorites.

Rachelccameron I don't think there is any such thing as a "guy book or a girl book", it all just depends on your taste.
I'm reading it and so far enjoying it.

Donna Croce A rip off of the movie Memento. The cops alias in Memento is even Teddy. Memento is much better than this book.

message 5: by Linda (new)

Linda Atamian I love the Dorothy Parker quote!