Amy's Reviews > The Abstinence Teacher

The Abstinence Teacher by Tom Perrotta

Jul 23, 2009

Read in July, 2009

This was an intelligent book. I had personal connections with the story. The teacher in this book is forced to teach an abstinence approach in her sex ed class which she doesn't agree with. She feels facts and not philosophy are a better approach to discussing sex with teens. The other main character has found Jesus after an adulthood of addiction. The characters are well developed and the story deals with relationships with dead on realism. This book contains sensitive material concerning religion and discusses sex frankly, be prepared.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Abstinence Teacher.

message 1: by Lanette (new)

Lanette I've seen this and was thinking I might like it... will have to check it out.

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy I read a review of this book in a magazine and they really liked it, which led me to it. I am going to check out some other Tom Perotta books. This book is not for everyone, I will be really interested in your opinion if you pick it up. I listened to this on audio and they were many parts I turned down to a whisper afraid Kyle might hear, not a book to listen to in the car with the girls!!