Victoria Whipple's Reviews > The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the Nation, Vol I: The Pox Party

The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the Nati... by M.T. Anderson

Aug 25, 09

bookshelves: historical-fiction, mythology
Read in August, 2009

As a child, Octavian's life seem idyllic: he lives in a stately home with his loving mother and others at the Novanglican College of Lucidity who feed, clothe, and teach him. His world is turned upside down when he finds out that his mother--an African princess--was bought by his "benefactors" while she was pregnant with him, and they are unwitting subjects of a long term study of the "African race". Things really change when the College falls on financial hard times and the new owners have a desire to see their results come out a certain way, and the experiments are altered to gain the desired results. Even if the story were not fascinating, the writing is beautiful. I can not wait for vol. 2 to come out in October.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the Nation, Vol I.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Pamela I just finished it. As a history major with a focus on colonial America, I was blown away by this story. I'd agree it's probably too advanced for Middle School, but might make an amazing AP summer read for the high school history students. Thanks for the recommendation - now I have to read Volume 2.