Brooke's Reviews > The Sandman, Vol. 1: Preludes and Nocturnes

The Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil Gaiman

Jul 17, 12

bookshelves: graphic-novels-read
Read in July, 2009

In the foreword and the afterword, both the editor and Gaiman indicated that this isn't the strongest volume in the Sandman series; Gaiman was still finding his vision for the series, it's essentially a fetch quest, etc. I'm inclined to agree with them, although it was still enjoyable (as any video game fan will tell you, a fetch quest can still be fun, but it's not the strongest narrative device). I'm halfway through Volume 2: The Doll's House and I'm already finding the story much more interesting. Preludes and Nocturnes is a good introduction, but not much more than that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sandman, Vol. 1.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sarah I'm glad you're persevering. Preludes & Nocturnes was definitely just a warm-up.

Patrick seasons of the mist is my favorite

Miriam Abigail, you might try picking up the one about the Furies (I think it is The Sandman Vol. 9 The Kindly Ones); I liked it because it was more based in Greek mythology, and is more of a stand-alone.

Patrick world's end is also a great stand alone

Michael Barron Sorry, I know this is a super long time after you wrote your review. I was just curious, did you ever finish reading the Sandman series? What did you think?

Marlene I was new to graphic novels when I read this, and I loved it. I went out and got the second book, then the third, and worked my way through the whole series.
I went back to reread a couple years later, and realized that the first book absolutely crawls compared to the rest of the series. Regardless, I think it's still a pretty good read, and a necessary introduction to the series.

Samuel García I started out years ago with Vol. 4, Season of Mists, and I still consider it the best of all.