Kristal's Reviews > The Thirteenth Tale

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield

Jun 15, 14

bookshelves: historical-fiction, mystery-suspense, debut, read-in-2014, favorites-i-heart
Read in June, 2014

Upon discovering she was in the last stages of her life, the popular writer Vita Winter decides to commission Margaret to write her biography. Margaret is the daughter of a local bookshop owner and a recluse. She prefers the company of books over people and her only publications are of dead authors. She doesn't understand why she was chosen for this job.

Shortly after arriving at Ms. Winters home, Margaret finds herself quickly immersed in Ms. Winters life story. Wanting to make sure she is not being told another one of Ms. Winters famous lies, Margaret does her own searching and hunting for clues and leads of Ms. Winters former life and starts to piece together a tragic tale of abandonment, arson, incest, insanity and murder.

If I need to make the point clear, I truly loved this book. As of this date, this is my second reading of this story and I am sure there will be numerous more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Thirteenth Tale.