Auntee's Reviews > At Grave's End

At Grave's End by Jeaniene Frost

Jul 18, 09

bookshelves: paranormal-romance, 2009_reads
Recommended for: Fans of the series
Read in July, 2009

Whew! What a crazy, thrilling read...I feel like I just spent days in a gruesome, gory amusement park, on a ride that just wouldn't stop! I'm not sure where to begin in describing this book.

I'll start with the obvious. This book started out as almost all Urban Fantasy, with Bones and Cat and company going from one confrontation to another, fighting the baddies with lots of gore and mayhem, and their usual wit and sarcastic humor. My, how the heads rolled in this one (some literally)...for those who are a little bloodthirsty, this will be right up your alley! After about a hundred pages of this, I was getting a little tired of it. Where were the scenes of smoldering passion between Cat and Bones? I needed some of that romance to break up the monotony of all those killing sprees, and almost all of it was off the pages. Oh well, I decided to settle in and trust the author, since she hadn't steered me wrong yet, and endure all the madness. And in Jeaniene Frost's defense, once your characters have found love and are practically living happily ever after and you know nothing will break them apart, what more can you do to them to show their happiness with each other (except repeat the same bedroom scene over and over again?)

*************Possible spoilers******************************************

Some interesting things happen along the way. Readers will be happy to know that Cat's nasty vampire father is finally dealt with. Yea! Cat's mom gets a lover. Yea! One of Cat's men decides he wants to become a vampire--very cool proceedings, I must admit. Cat still has to deal with the unrequited love of one of her men--I swear I don't know how much more of that Bones is going to be able to take. Cat continually has to deal with all the women seemingly crawling out of the woodwork from Bones's promiscuous past--is there anyone, living or undead, who that man hasn't slept with before Cat?:) And once again Bones and Cat have to defend themselves from the many undead who would like to see them dead. These two lead a very stressful life! A cool new character is introduced, one who everyone has heard of, and he has some very funny moments with Cat and Bones, and a pivotal role in the book, I might add.
************************************************************************

Eventually, the main plot develops, and Cat and Bones find themselves facing a new and deadly foe from Bones's past who is desperate to see them both dead. An all out vampire war is declared, and Bones makes an alliance with one of the most powerful vamps around, and in effect, gains some cool new powers of his own. Finally, things heat up in the bedroom as well ( "When you get back, I'm going to cover myself in whiskey and nothing else. Then I'll pour gin all over you. We're going to drink from each other, in every possible way."--this is sexier than it sounds, since we know how much Bones likes his whiskey, and Cat loves her gin), and Bones and Cat each have to face the possibility of life without the other. There's a heartbreaking scene where Cat's worst fears are realized, and even though I knew it couldn't be true (afterall, there is a new book coming out, Destined for an Early Grave), I cried along with Cat when she thought her beloved Bones may be lost to her forever. (*sniff*)

It all leads up to one big fat undead showdown, straight out of 'Night of the Living Dead'. Oh my... ghouls, vampires, zombies, wraiths--what an absolute horror movie! Gruesome, ghoulish fun--but I hope I don't have nightmares!

Once again, Cat and Bones didn't let me down. They are an utterly devoted couple, even though they do have the occasional spat (Cat still doesn't like to be told what to do, even if it's for her own good, and Bones would be wise to remember that). I doubt that anyone can really come between them (that includes you, Tate), but certainly more than a few have already tried. What's in store for them next is anyone's guess, but I for one can hardly wait!

To sum up, not quite as good as my favorite, One Foot in the Grave, but darn good anyway. This series to me is a lot like JR Ward's BDB, in that you love the characters so much, you're willing to go where the author takes you. I know I can't turn down a chance to be with Cat and Bones again. I just have one question--what's in the letter addressed to "My Beloved Wife"? 4 1/2 stars.
50 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read At Grave's End.

07/15/2009 page 1
07/16/2009 page 42
12.28% "Not much time to read this yet, but OMG, Tate!" 3 comments
07/16/2009 page 97
28.36% "Not much romance yet..." 6 comments
07/17/2009 page 178
52.05% "Movin' along...with some surprises..."
07/18/2009 page 258
75.44% "Oh Tate, no, what did you do?"
07/18/2009 page 313
91.52% "OMG, it's 'Night of the Living Dead'..."
07/18/2009 page 342
100.0% "Whew! Crazy...Review coming." 1 comment

message 1: by Corrine (new)

Corrine I have to start this series soon. Great review, Auntee!

message 2: by Dina (last edited Jul 18, 2009 02:04PM) (new)

Dina Great review, Auntee! If Shawna and you hadn't already converted me, this would have done the job. I shouldn't have read the review considering how behind I am in this series, but I'm not that strong to resist...

You had me worried with your status updates. I got the impression that you weren't enjoying this book but I guess you were just teasing... ;)

Shawna Great review Auntee! This was my least favorite of the three books so far, but I agree that the author still keeps you hooked.

One Foot in the Grave is definitely my favorite so far, but I can't wait until the 28th to see what's next in store for Cat & Bones!!

Julie (jjmachshev) Fab review! I think she wrote this one this way to lay some groundwork for expanding character love stories...but even if not, I still love Bones!!

Auntee Thanks all!

Corrine wrote: "I have to start this series soon. Great review, Auntee!"

Give it a try, Corrine--you may love it!:)

Julie (jjmachshev) wrote: "Fab review! I think she wrote this one this way to lay some groundwork for expanding character love stories...but even if not, I still love Bones!!"

True, Julie. I think she's going to write 7 Bones/Cat stories, so this one may be the bridge that leads to the development of others.

Shawna wrote: "Great review Auntee! This was my least favorite of the three books so far, but I agree that the author still keeps you hooked.

One Foot in the Grave is definitely my favorite so far, but I can't ..."

I agree, Shawna--I hope I can find it before the 28th, while it's still fresh in my mind.:)

Dina wrote: "Great review, Auntee! If Shawna and you hadn't already converted me, this would have done the job. I shouldn't have read the review considering how behind I am in this series, but I'm not that stro..."

The first 100 or so pages were all UF, so you have to stick with it, but it picks up nicely after that. I'll admit I was a bit worried, Dina.:)

message 6: by Laura (last edited Jul 19, 2009 12:33PM) (new)

Laura I'm glad you liked it! Yeah, the ending makes up for all the dashing from one fight scene to another. Kat and Bones are one smokin hot couple!

message 7: by Eastofoz (new) - added it

Eastofoz I didn't read your spoiler part of the review Auntee (you know how they freak me out --lol!) so is there any romance or is it more like say Ward's "Lover Enshrined" but you still keep reading in the hopes that the romance will eventually be worth it? I read that it's a lot of UF which is a no go for me (lol!)

Auntee Eastofoz wrote: "I didn't read your spoiler part of the review Auntee (you know how they freak me out --lol!) so is there any romance or is it more like say Ward's "Lover Enshrined" but you still keep reading in th..."

I would say of the 3 books, it has the least amount of romance, although there is some. Good comparison to "Lover Enshrined". It definitely leans toward UF, which I don't mind as long as there's some romance too.

See how you feel after you read the first one (and I know you'll want the 2nd one too unless you absolutely hate the first one!) If you get hooked on Bones you'll probably want to read the third one even if it's light on the romance.:)

message 9: by Eastofoz (new) - added it

Eastofoz Thanks for the info Auntee. We'll see how it goes once I get book 1 :D

Stephanie Auntee-
You weren't kidding when you said it was off the pages! When he asked her to marry him and all we get is " later when I was stretched blah, blah, blah...."
Uggg, there could have been a tender heartfelt moment, but we got jack!
I hope it is worth it!

message 11: by Laura (new)

Laura I agree, Stephanie. Even though I liked the ending. Just wish there was more romance in that third one. UF is not my thing.

http://laura-stamps8.livejournal.com (my naughty Author Blog/updated daily)

Stephanie Oh I don't mind that this book will be a little heavy on the UF, but come on after the 'scene' in book #2.
For Frost to skip Cat & Bones' chemistry is frustrating.

message 13: by Laura (new)

Laura Exactly! And this is why I end up reading mostly erotica. LOL

http://laura-stamps8.livejournal.com (my naughty Author Blog/updated daily)

Stephanie She did such a good job in the first two books of balancing it out, but I was feeling a little slighted when I started this book.

message 15: by Laura (new)

Laura I agree. Book 1 and Book 2 almost read like Part 1 and Part 2 of a fabulous PNR story. They flowed so well together.

It will be interesting what happens in Book 4, ya know? Like what direction will she take with that one?

I wonder if she was under pressure to tone the sex and romance down. You'd be surprised some of the mail authors get. You receive lots of fan mail but also a few who hate all the sex and romance in our books. Sometimes those few naysayers have more sway with a publisher than all the fans who love what we do. You just never know.