Isis's Reviews > The Miracle at Speedy Motors

Jul 26, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: audiobook
Read in July, 2009

After the disappointment of the previous book, I was delighted to discover that McCall Smith returned to a simpler and more enjoyable theme for this one: that of family, friendship, and love. I am still finding myself a bit irritated by his dialogue tags in which he tells us how the character responds, before showing us in the dialogue, e.g.: Mma Ramotswe didn't like this. "I must say I disapprove..."

But the relationships - central to this series and particularly, I think, to this book, are so beautifully drawn. Mma Ramotswe's affection for her husband, and their love for their adopted children; Mma Makutsi's fiancee's conviction that he is the luckiest man on earth for her love; the client who desperately longs for family. And when McCall Smith describes Botswana so evocatively through the eyes of those who love the land - the hopes for rain and the gratitude when it comes, the grazing cattle, the network of family - I can forgive all his repetitive dialogue tags.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Miracle at Speedy Motors.

07/14/2009 "chapter 6. I like this one better than the previous, so far."
07/17/2009 "ch 9 of audiobook"
07/19/2009 "ch 13 of audiobook"
07/22/2009 "ch 18 of audiobook - almost done!"