Schmacko's Reviews > Then We Came to the End

Then We Came to the End by Joshua Ferris

Oct 04, 11

Read in October, 2011

What an enjoyable, funny first novel! It's about the white-collar workers at an overly juvenile advertising firm - told in first-person plural, so you never know who the narrator is. Gossip, pranks, and tangents fill their days...until the layoffs come. Much of this is about the dehumanizing of people at corporate business; some of this is about how we humans dehumanize each other. Specific things happen; someone hides a piece of sushi in someone else's office, people steal each other's chairs in a mocking of La Ronde, someone goes a little crazy after being terminated. If I have quibbles, the trick about the first-person plural never fully gets answered, so we never know who the voice is. Also, in the middle - for good and bad reasons - the voice of the book changes for one chapter to third-person omnipotent; it is well written, but it feels a little gimmicky. Still, much of this is funny. And it makes you think in good and bad ways about capitalist corporate culture...or the lack of culture, really. It's funny and also, a bit sad.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Then We Came to the End.

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp arrow    newest »

K.D. Absolutely Have you read UP IN THE AIR? Quite similar. Nice review my friend!

Schmacko I saw the movie. Sadly, I should've probably read the book first. Thank you for the compliment!

K.D. Absolutely np :)