Kate's Reviews > An Affair Before Christmas

Jul 09, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: historical-romance
Read in July, 2009

While I thought the heroine was severely lacking, the overlying arc in this series always keeps me interested. After thinking about it, I am still annoyed with her, but I can understand where she comes from. So many women pretend to be pleased by their husbands/SOs/whathaveyou because they think they're supposed to SAY they enjoy it, but don't really believe they will. I thought it was a stretch to make it the central conflict in their marriage - if James had made a bigger deal out of evil Mother-in-Law, I would have been more interested.

That being said, I'm a fan of James' style of writing, so even when the characters made me roll my eyes, I at least didn't throw it down. I think it really was just Poppy and Fletch that didn't work for me, because obviously James is building up Villiers' story, and quite successfully too! That and the Beaumonts. I am actually excited to read Isidore's story next, because that is the one that most intrigued me from the synopsis and we just met her in Affair before Christmas, so I'm not sick of her yet. ;)

All in all, an average read. I know she has better books. But I am glad I read it, because I would hate to miss ANYTHING to do with Villiers and the Beaumonts!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Affair Before Christmas.

07/20/2009 page 122