Jeff's Reviews > Everything's Eventual: 14 Dark Tales

Everything's Eventual by Stephen King

Jan 07, 08

Recommended for: short story and horror fans.
Read in September, 2007

One of the things I loved about this book is that there is a synopsis given at the beginning of almost every story in the collection by Stephen King himself. It's very interesting to hear from the author himself where the stories originated from and what he was thinking about as he wrote them. Oddly enough, the title story, Everything's Eventual, was far from my favorite in the collection. However, there are some amazing stories here, from Autopsy Room Four at the start of the collection, which has a Poe and macarbe feel to it, to The Man in the Black Suit, which had a fable feel to it (King's discussion of this story is interesting), to The Road Virus Heads North, a story that is Stephen King through and through, to the Lunch at Gotham Cafe, a very unique tale. I had seen the movie version of 1408 before reading this collection, and loved the movie. However, as they say, the book is better than the movie. It has the same feel as the film, which says the filmmakers did a good job, but is not cluttered with as many subplots as the movie. If you're a Dark Towers fan, you will also get to enjoy the gunslinger in The Little Sisters of Eluria. Riding the Bullitt is another short in this collection that was made into a film. Again, this version is better, but the film was well done, also. I highly recommend this collection. Every story isn't bone-chilling horror, but there is an interesting mix of stories here that will have you excited to move on to the next one. I recommend this collection as a read just before lights out. Don't let the bed bugs bite.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everything's Eventual.