Kaz's Reviews > Jane Eyre

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë

May 12, 11

bookshelves: classics, read-2011, movie-tv-series, 1001-books, setting-europe
Read from February 20 to March 10, 2011

I really don't know what had stopped me reading this book till now. I know the movie in 1996 discouraged me reading it, but what about before the movie? In the movie (1996), I liked Ana Paquin and still remembered since 1996(!), but Charlotte Gainsbourg really bored me. Her Jane was way too plain and passionless to me. I kept imagining Ana Paquin playing grown up Jane while I was reading.

When I was twelve, I read Wuthering Heights in translation (and probably was abridged) and loved it. I would had loved Jane Eyre as well if I read in those days (or maybe not...). If Catherine and Heathcliff were red, hot, and dangerously burning flame, Jane Eyre and Mr. Rochester were quietly burning white flame.

I actually read this one with book and audibook. Audiobook was helpful because she read all French for me! I didn't bother to translate those, but it would had been nice if there was English translation on notes or somewhere in the book. I was able to feel Adele and the "air" of conversation in French though. I don't know how soon I can watch the new Jane Eyre movie since it is not scheduled to play in my area. Meanwhile, I may watch the BBC's TV mini-series version (2006) again. That one was really, really good.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jane Eyre.

Quotes Kaz Liked

Charlotte Brontë
“To women who please me only by their faces, I am the very devil when I find out they have neither souls nor hearts — when they open to me a perspective of flatness, triviality, and perhaps imbecility, coarseness, and ill-temper: but to the clear eye and eloquent tongue, to the soul made of fire, and the character that bends but does not break — at once supple and stable, tractable and consistent — I am ever tender and true. (Mr Rochester to Jane)”

Charlotte Brontë
“I do not think, sir, you have any right to command me, merely because you are older than I, or because you have seen more of the world than I have; your claim to superiority depends on the use you have made of your time and experience.”

Charlotte Brontë
“A great deal; you are good to those who are good to you. It is all I ever desire to be. If people were always kind and obedient to those who are cruel and unjust, the wicked people would have it all their own way; they would never feel afraid, and so they would never alter, but would grow worse and worse. When we are struck at without a reason, we should strike back again very hard; I am sure we should - so hard as to teach the person who struck us never to do it again.”

Charlotte Brontë
“No sight so sad as that of a naughty child," he began, "especially a naughty little girl. Do you know where the wicked go after death?"

"They go to hell," was my ready and orthodox answer.

"And what is hell? Can you tell me that?"

"A pit full of fire."

"And should you like to fall into that pit, and to be burning there for ever?"

"No, sir."

"What must you do to avoid it?"

I deliberated a moment: my answer, when it did come was objectionable: "I must keep in good health and not die.”

Charlotte Brontë
“Yet it would be your duty to bear it, if you could not avoid it: it is weak and silly to say you cannot bear what it is your fate to be required to bear.”

Charlotte Brontë
“It is a long way to Ireland, Janet, and I am sorry to send my little friend on such weary travels: but if I can't do better, how is it to be helped? Are you anything akin to me, do you think, Jane?"

I could risk no sort of answer by this time: my heart was still.

"Because, he said, "I sometimes have a queer feeling with regard to you - especially when you are near me, as now: it is as if I had a string somewhere under my left ribs, tightly and inextricably knotted to a similar string situated in the corresponding quarter of your little frame. And if that boisterous channel, and two hundred miles or so of land some broad between us, I am afraid that cord of communion will be snapt; and then I've a nervous notion I should take to bleeding inwardly. As for you, - you'd forget me.”

Charlotte Brontë
“I tell you I must go!” I retorted, roused to something like passion. “Do you think I can stay to become nothing to you? Do you think I am an automaton?—a machine without feelings? and can bear to have my morsel of bread snatched from my lips, and my drop of living water dashed from my cup? Do you think, because I am poor, obscure, plain, and little, I am soulless and heartless? You think wrong!—I have as much soul as you,—and full as much heart! And if God had gifted me with some beauty and much wealth, I should have made it as hard for you to leave me, as it is now for me to leave you. I am not talking to you now through the medium of custom, conventionalities, nor even of mortal flesh;—it is my spirit that addresses your spirit; just as if both had passed through the grave, and we stood at God’s feet, equal,—as we are!”

02/22/2011 page 49
11.0% "So far, I like it! I didn't know there was more passion in Jane. With some reason, I was not interested in reading Jane Eyre till when I watched the TV mini-series in 2006 by BBC. The movie (1996) was awfully boring, and it further discouraged me not reading this book. I wonder how well the new movie would do."
show 1 hidden update…