Crowinator's Reviews > The Autumn Castle

The Autumn Castle by Kim Wilkins

Jan 08, 10

bookshelves: arcs, faeries-elves-goblins, fantasy, urban-fantasy, 2010-reads, adult
Read in January, 2010

I talked up The Veil of Gold so much when it came out that my children's librarian friend at work lent me her ARC of this earlier, UK-published book. I had a hard time getting in to it at first because I didn't care for faery May. I never found her as likable as the other characters; she was always too self-involved to be truly sympathetic. Then again, this isn't really a fault with the book, and I enjoyed the ending, where the happiness May imagined and schemed for doesn't quite live up to reality; it's also appropriate that Christine, the other protagonist who has a tough life and strives to stop being a victim, has the true happy ending. Wilkins excels at integrating the modern world with folklore (here a fascinating array of European faery lore) and creating believable, flawed characters. Mandy Z, the faery serial killer who is the third narrator, even had a few sympathetic moments among the horror that he perpetuates. This is an excellent modern fairy tale and highly recommended.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Autumn Castle.

01/06/2010 page 273
60.94% "It's really getting good now!"