Jim's Reviews > Blasphemy

Blasphemy by Douglas Preston

M_50x66
Jul 08, 09

Read in July, 2009

This book is a great summer read. Once it got going, I was hooked. It is a little hard to review without giving away too much, but will try.

Douglas Preston is a great storyteller who has written several books, both by himself and with Lincoln Child.

It takes place in Northeast Arizona on Navajo lands. The US govt has funded and built a 43 mile long circular underground super collider. Obviously this is a fictitious installation. The largest real super collider, the Super Hadron, is located on the French/Swiss border near Geneva and is 17 miles in circumference. Having attended a few lectures on the subject at the University of Arizona, I am quite familiar with the topic and what super colliders do.

Preston has done his homework and gets most of his facts right. Anyway,the story is that as the scientists bring this unit on-line, they discover something that will change everything about our perception of the universe, so they must keep it a secret for a while. But, of course, secrets don't last.

In the meantime, thanks to a slimeball Washington DC lobbyist and a fundamentalist TV evangelist, the govt is accused of trying to disprove Genesis and dethrone God. Things, of course go from bad to worse. And, don't forget, they are on Navajo land.

While I was reading, I felt sure that the ending would disappoint. That did not happen. In fact the ending is perfect and I did not see it coming. It was the icing on the cake of a well crafted story.

The only criticism I have is that you can't run a super collider with only 12 people, which is what happens here. Other than that, the story was great.

I only wish Preston would spend his time writing these great stories and give up on those ridiculous novels (with Lincoln Child) featuring FBI agent Pendergast.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blasphemy.