Rhonda's Reviews > Truman Capote: In Which Various Friends, Enemies, Acquaintances, and Detractors Recall His Turbulent Career

Truman Capote by George Plimpton

Jul 16, 09

bookshelves: biography
Read in July, 2009

This book attracted me as much for Plimpton as for Capote; I've always liked the Paper Lion's style. And what he does here is epic and fascinating, letting the pattern show itself: that Capote made each of his friends feel like s/he was his only friend, his only TRUE friend, the only one special enough (Milton's "fit reader though few" comes to mind) to really be suitable company for so discriminating a sensibility as Capote's.

What a frightening creature. Like a Siren, seducing sailors onto the rocks. Was his art great enough to redeem his epic perfidy? Or was it all downhill after Other Voices, Other Rooms? Oh wait--I'm forgetting In Cold Blood, his work I know best. He sowed the seed of creative nonfiction, there. But I don't see him on high school or college syllabi whereas, nearly 50 years after its first appearance, To Kill a Mockingbird has been read by middleschoolers and highschoolers and college students (and me) since 1960 and continues to support Harper Lee well into her 80s. TC was a nasty little man who wrote some beautiful but little books--except for In Cold Blood, a monster.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Truman Capote.