MB (What she read)'s Reviews > The Man With the Golden Torc

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy-urban-fantasy-paranormals
Recommended to MB (What she read) by: Fantasy & SciFi Group
Read in July, 2009

Enjoyable...lots of fun. An interesting hybrid of spy/mystery/fantasy. As other reviewers have mentioned, it was like Harry Dresden crossed with James Bond.

My thought on reading it is that it would have better functioned as a graphic novel due to the rapid pace and minimal exposition. (Or a movie, since it was mostly action and quips.) It was like this happened...bang! Then this happened...explosion! Then this happened...cataclysm! On and on and on. Most of it was crying out for illustration and would benefit from that format; lots of great opportunities for a partnership with a good artist or artistic team! This strikes me as a book written for readers who prefer video games or graphic novels to the slower unfolding pace of 'reading a book'. (It's hard to explain what I mean, but that is what kept coming to my mind while reading this.)

I think it also suffered for me in that I was reading it in a trade paperback where the text was so tight and dense with no white space that I kept having to re-read sections in order to figure out what/why something happened. It was hard to concentrate since the scenes jumped every few paragraphs. I'd recommend finding a hardback or larger-format if that is available to you to give your eyes a rest.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Man With the Golden Torc.

07/28/2009 page 102