esmepie 's Reviews > Crazy for God: How I Grew Up as One of the Elect, Helped Found the Religious Right, and Lived to Take All (or Almost All) of It Back

Crazy for God by Frank Schaeffer

Jul 08, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: religion
Read in July, 2009

Somewhere between 3 and 4 stars. He's not a great writer--very simple sentences, lots of exclamation points and he interjects reminiscences/memories of others as they relate to the story that don't really add to the story and interupt the flow of the author's own story.

All that said, I found this to be a very compelling and nuanced read. The story of the author's early life with his parents at a Christian mission they founded in Switzerland was very interesting. As was the author's perspective on the rise and his own falling into the religious right, especially as it relates to abortion politics. I found the author to be quite honest and willing to explore and disclose his own foibles and mistakes. While I didn't necessarily agree with him on many points, I found his perspective on Christianity and the pro-life/pro-choice wars to be extremely nuanced and insightful. A great book to read if you want a thoughtful discussion of Christianity and politics today.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crazy for God.